AMI & Ipod question

Dean_T

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
I picked up an AMI cable for my ipod from amazon, about £7 delivered and it arrived today - VW packaging so a great saving :)

I have hooked it up to the car and I can access it no problem - all is working fine.

Only question is I noticed that after switching off the ignition, the ipod is still charging - is this a permanent live or will it switch off after a set period of time or when the car is locked (alarm switched on)?

I have unhooked it now but I want to leave my ipod connected and in the car, not having to remember to unplug it.

Cheers

You don't have to worry either way, mine is always plugged in there, I never unplug it unless it gets confused.

Never had a problem, and I don't drive it for 5 days a week as I use the diesel for work.

You'll be fine!

Mine does stop charging after 10 or so minutes as when you unlock and open the door you can hear the phone vibrating as it begins to charge again.

I've just noticed this evening that the screen on my iPod seems to remain on even after the engine has been turned off. I went in the garage in the dark and wondered what the light was coming from under the armrest, and it turns out that it is the iPod screen just saying "OK to disconnect".

I'm sure in my previous cars, the screen has turned itself off after a few minutes, but after a couple of hours, it stays on after I have turned off and locked the car.

Is this happening to anyone else, or do you have to manually switch off the iPod. Is it OK to leave it with the screen on all the time? It seems to get a little warm, as if it is charging or playing to itself?

Sorry to hijack this but where do these plug into?

It plugs into the storage area under the central armrest. There's a socket in there to plug the cable in :)

Just to update on this, the iPod did eventually switch itself off, like it has done in the other cars. I think maybe it was just charging the iPod up. The screen did stay on for a little while after having using the iPod in the car, but did then switch off, so all is good just leaving it connected all the time :)

It is a constant live. I use my iPhone, and if I leave it in the car after a short journey with low battery, it will carry on charging. It only vibrates on unlocking as the power briefly switches as you open the car.