Alloy wheel & curb :(

DaytonaS3

Reaction score
Just had my first incident with a curb. Absolutely gutted and pic below. Drivers side front.

I’ve been looking but don’t understand the diamond cut thing, is mine diamond cut? It’s a 2017 s3.

I keep reading different things about diamond cut so I’m concerned it can’t be fixed if someone can out my mind at ease!

Attachments

• BD29AFDD-1686-4998-9E41-01ACA1BB96EF.jpeg
    BD29AFDD-1686-4998-9E41-01ACA1BB96EF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,034
Yeah mate it can be fixed twice the price of a normal refurb so should be around £90 - £110 a wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and DaytonaS3
Cheers for quick reply bud. That’s at least taken some of the annoyance away! Just wasn’t concentrating.
Presumably you can’t just keep repairing a wheel if it happens again, and at some point that’s it

Reactions: David McQueen
Cheers for quick reply bud. That’s at least taken some of the annoyance away! Just wasn’t concentrating.
Presumably you can’t just keep repairing a wheel if it happens again, and at some point that’s it

I have read the most a diamond cut can be repaired is twice but not 100% on that, mine are diamond cut and the mrs has done all 4, mine is an a3 sline though, thinking of going down the route of just having them all powdercoated and sprayed for £200 as it will end up happening again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Djs3saloon and DaytonaS3
By the looks of it you'll need a full refurbishment judging by the depth of the damage and in particular its on the very outer edge of the wheel.... This means it will need a respray painted and re - cut.... And it's near impossible to perfectly match the paint tone with rear alloy

You’ll get three passes on these wheels depending on how deep they’ve been scored. This is well within parameters. If you’re down south use Diamond Styling at Sevenoaks, they’re superb.

Cheers for that. I’m up north, so I’ll take it in somewhere local first to get an assessment.

If the fix doesn’t look 100% bang on, I’ll just swap it with the passenger side and won’t see it that often!

Cheers for that. I’m up north, so I’ll take it in somewhere local first to get an assessment.

If the fix doesn’t look 100% bang on, I’ll just swap it with the passenger side and won’t see it that often!
No decent wheel shop will match it so poorly it’s noticable to a casual look. My original Audi wheels weren’t all the same when they were all next to each other in a square formation!

Just had my first incident with a curb. Absolutely gutted and pic below. Drivers side front.

I’ve been looking but don’t understand the diamond cut thing, is mine diamond cut? It’s a 2017 s3.

I keep reading different things about diamond cut so I’m concerned it can’t be fixed if someone can out my mind at ease!
Mrs done the front left within the first 3 weeks. Managed another 10 months and I've claimed my first victim yesterday. Think I'm going to invest in some rim protectors.

That looks relatively minor, its just a small part of the edge and not across the face or hugely deep ( compared to other posts on here recently) ... If you have a little time and are handy...Another alternative is to have a go yourself to make it look far more presentable and save some £££. It wont be perfect but will pass the glance test.

Take a look at this thread

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/diy-diamond-cut-alloy-refurb.276580/

Jungle

Reactions: sve170
Yeah I spotted that tutorial. Looks a great write up, but whenever something looks a good idea to me, it usually doesn’t end as well as I’d like!

Reactions: David McQueen
Mrs done the front left within the first 3 weeks. Managed another 10 months and I've claimed my first victim yesterday. Think I'm going to invest in some rim protectors.

Do you mean the likes of alloy gators? I've read some bad things about those too.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
When I got my passenger side wheels repaired last week (also diamond cut) they were £80 + VAT each (mine were 10x worse than yours!). They'll come out looking absolutely brand new so don't worry too much. It's just an inconvenience...

Last edited:
Reactions: DaytonaS3 and Audi Bairn
Do you mean the likes of alloy gators? I've read some bad things about those too.

Depends what you are looking for, how precious you are about your alloys and where u have to park.

I have had a few sets of Alloygators on different cars and they have served their purpose well in the past. On normal painted / powder coated alloys they work perfectly and can blend in or be a bold statement depending on the colour chosen.

On Diamond Cut wheels they still protect the wheels from curb / rash damage BUT they are not without their drawbacks as they hold dirt and water along the outer edge and can slip/ move / rub on the polished edge, Although to be fair they NOW do state they are NOT designed for Diamond Cut wheels. I did not realise this/or they did not state this back when I originally put them on, but found out later.

I have had a set on my original 18 Diamond Cut wheels for 1.5 years... they certianly stopped a few close scrapes, however they do trap water and mark the outer edges which might increase the chance of lacquer damage.

I took the Gators off recently after 1.5 years as I changed tyres and wheels .. the edges were marked but could be mostly cleaned up, albeit still leaving some minor marks that a blind man would be pleased to see...

Heres a few pics....

On the car.... Alloygators hardly noticable in black.
34C85DAF F443 4AEC AF3B D2B4962E9F6E

From the side, u really need to look to see then. Made the tyres look meatier. I was actually pleased with them on. I only took them off as I changed wheels/tyres.

F3303F93 32A1 4840 9CD6 3C5D4F502E47

To remove Gators, tyres have to be deflated and then the small sealing plug which is glued into place removed. Outer edge then gently comes away from the tyre... This then reveals the trapped dirt etc which sits betweel the Diamond Cut finish and the Gator. Over time its this that will do the damage.

94C1FD28 5ADE 45AF B86E 1C85E3208B9A

A0714004 0C80 46A1 A421 D5A631114B1D

Gators removed and wheel wiped with just a cloth

DF9399AD 79F1 4F0E 8763 2AD7809130FD

Touch of Mothers to clean and polish
edge from muck.

55C7176B 151C 448D BEBE EAF22E2EC4E7

After a good clean up.

BA73BB2D 0F17 492A B428 AB525AD2BD04

In typical fashion, it started raining as I took a picture! ... all 4 together cleaned and sealed with wheel wax ready for winter , not perfect but by no means terrible or anywhere as bad as I have seen other wheels in!!

07AE3E15 DB1D 415E 99FE F1F731D654EB

Wheel wax..

7F21BCCB C855 4A36 BF00 5C4C48DA7F04

Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: AL_B, DaytonaS3, David McQueen and 1 other person