Alloy fitment

Terra

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought a set of A5 Ronal alloys, simply because I got them cheap off a friend... however I'm not sure if they're going to fit my A3 2008.

I know I need spigot rings to bring the bore size down but they have the following offset and width, do you think they'll be too close to the strut? How close is too close?

Wheel size - 8.5 x 18
Offset - ET29
CB - 66.6 (need spigot ring to take down to 57)

Thanks

All I can offer is that my 2007 pre-facelift S3 rims are 7.5jx18x112 ET56 and my post-facelift rims are 7.5jx18x112 ET54. Quite an offset differential from yours, cant say if its to much or not however sorry

Offset on the A5 is much lower than the other models. You will probably find the offset of 29 too low for the A3 and poke out too much. Particularly at the front.

They'll stick out quite a bit more than ET54 A3 wheels and unfortunately you can't shave any metal off. I have ET45 7.5" wheels and they are flush with the arches. A quick calculation in my head says these will stick out of the wheelarch by about 34mm. Not what the MOT tester or police will want to see.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quite new to this - so is it illegal? What's the maximum offset for wheels on the A3 then?

I agree it probably sticks out the arches a bit too much, will it affect handling, cause any problems and like I said, is it illegal?

Thanks

It is indeed....and it looks poo :p

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quite new to this - so is it illegal? What's the maximum offset for wheels on the A3 then?

I agree it probably sticks out the arches a bit too much, will it affect handling, cause any problems and like I said, is it illegal?

Thanks

ILLEGAL is an interesting question: ALL cars are now manufactured to a documented set of data that covers ALL of the vehicle TYPE APPROVAL parameters; once you step outside of those parameters then your car is deemed illegal. Does it matter? Look at it this way: my RS3 runs secondary catalyitic by pass pipes which according to Type Approval is an illegal deletion; so, take my car to an Audi garage for MOT and they know it should have secondary cats and it's a FAIL; take it to an independent and it's a PASS...

Likewise, swap your rims for anything that doesn't meet with Type Approval and best start praying to whoever if it gets stuffed 'cos for sure the one guys who ain't gonna want to pay is them you have it insured with; know what I'm sayin'...

PS: I was once responsible for Motor Vehicle Type Approval at a motor vehicle manufacturing facility here in the UK....

Definitely Not Legal. It does cause small handling problems and your front tyres will wear out quicker.

Don't wanna sound rude but do the legalities matter when they won't fit anyway?