alarm unit/battery

ahhh, should have remembered you have done every job in your thread (and painted it)...

thanks for the link fella.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
My S3 has just started beeping about a week ago so just ordered a pair of batteries from maplin £16 delivered . Fingers crosses my PCB isn't too bad.

I don't have good knowledge of batteries, but is it ok/safe to use different types of rechargeable cells? Like Li-ion or Ni-Cd.

The OEM spec Ni-Mh batteries are expensive and hard to find. I think my alarm unit is busted anyways, as I haven't heard a single beep during my ownership.

Received the batteries today and soldered them together.
Batteries

Then proceeded to get the alarm unit out. Took off the CD changer, sub and pump only to find out that the unit is not there!
Empty well

I heard that in some models the alarm unit is located under the scuttle panel (under wipers). Gah, I already had the panel open twice before when I was installing the cruise control.. Is there any more possible locations? Car in question is LHD 2001 S3, originated from Italy.

Took a look under the scuttle panel yesterday, and found out that I didn't have an electrical alarm unit, but a plain horn like siren. It was properly plugged in, so I unplugged it and cleaned the contacts and sprayed some contact cleaner. To my amazement the alarm started working :) Also coded the lock confirmation honk, which is nice.

Siren