AJQ engine issues/questions

sprushty

TQS Collective
Reaction score
Hello all, having some issues and hoping someone can provide guidance.

Back story: My 1.8tqs is on 130k miles and consumes oil. Before, on a quick launch or if I shifted higher up in the rev range (spirited driving) and then came to a stand still and moved off again the car would judder and bellow blue smoke. This would clear eventually after about 5-10 seconds of normal driving. It would also occasionally puff blue smoke on start up after it had been driven hard the night before. I have also seen it lightly leaving behind blue smoke if driven at high speed. I assumed the turbo and the valve stem seals would be causing this.

Issue now: The car has developed a misfire and is juddering a lot. I switched the coil packs around (recently changed to new 2.0tfsi ones) and the problem stayed on the same cylinders 1 and 4. I then took the spark plugs out which were coated in oil. Gave them a clean and put them back in and it fired up fine. Took it for a spin and it seemed the same as before, smoking after being driven hard. Went to fill up at Shell and as I drove out of the forecourt it started juddering again. There's oil coating the plugs at a rapid rate now but there's no blue smoke from the exhaust on idle which is why I'm hoping its not the piston rings. I tried a quick compression test with all the spark plugs out and injectors disconnected and seemed to get 75psi across all 4. I read after this was supposed to be done with the throttle wide open which I didn't do.

Main question: Its an AJQ, if its just the stem seals then would a head replacement be a cheaper option rather than a rebuild. I won't be doing any of the work myself because of space/time/knowledge constraints (this is my daily driver so I cant really faff about too long). If I replace, what engine code can I replace it with considering AJQ's are hard to come by judging from my ebay search. Also bare in mind I have swapped the bolt down coil packs with the push fits and plastic adaptors. I'm located in West London near Heathrow, anyone know of any good mechanics that wont rip me off/cut corners?

As the turbo needs changing too would it be wise to look for an engine replacement instead with a turbo? What engines would mate to the Quattro gearbox?

Sorry for the long post but I have tried to cover all of the points to give a better picture, cheers.