Air Filter

JohnStan725

Reaction score
Needing some recommendations on a good air filter (cone) want a straight fit have a audi a3 1.6l 2001 pre-facelift, current got a panel air filter, is it a 80mm fit for a straight swap over?
what sort of thing shell i look for?

Regards

In fairness as its a 1.6 NA you would get away with a childs sock on the end of the MAF... joking aside its not an 80mm MAF... not actually sure what size it is tbh but you can measure it easily enough and just get a cone filter suitable for that...

I had a Green Cotton cone filter on my old 1.3 Mk2 Golf... it sounded awesome and actually made the car feel a little quicker :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Nilz and JonnyDerv
haha i was thinking that tbh so just go for a standard universal one?
just check measurements before i guess its an easy fit?

Do the s2000 filters any good or are they for the s3's?
just looking for a nice easy fit as im an amateur to this game.

Thanks Again Tuffty.

Something the size of the s2000 might be over kill on a 1.6 NA... this is what I had on my Mk2

IMG_20111007_171510.jpg

<tuffty/>

okay something similar to that will check the measurements do i need any sort of adaptors or other bits to fit them form a panel filter? also do i need a cold intake pipe pointing at the cone which im unsure on?

appreciate your help tuffty answered alot of my questions on here!

Managed to check them on my phone a3-lee look decent is that the sort of price ill be looking at paying for the adaptor and a cone filter, was it an easy find on ebay?

even though it says 1994-1997 would this still be the correct one for a 2001?

Thanks Lee I'll take a picture when I'm on my lunch break won't be very detailed but appreciate your help nearly bought the wrong thing!

Think the maf's are like 63mm or something along those lines. Might be easier measuring your maf sensor diameter then getting a cone filter that is that size

So taking out the panel filter and measure the maf is my best bet? How can I upload pictures keeps saying it's too large for the server to handle it's only 2.2MB?

In my opinion it is, won't need to buy an adaptor then and you really don't need a S2000 size filter on a 1.6 anyway. Measure the maf size and have a look on jetex's website, they probably do a filter that's the size you're looking for

messaged the person on ebay regarding that filter and adaptor and they dont fit my model of car, i think your right there tbh johnny, so just take off the casing etc measure the MAF and find a fitment for that is no one sure what the fitment actually is?

im sure i need an adaptor though when i was reading another thread someone with a 1.6 needed a adaptor as it isnt a straight plug in or something they said. damn why am i such a noob at this haha

The side of the maf that goes into the airbox, is that just a round circle or does it have 4 bolts? If it has 4 bolts then you're going to need an adaptor, a cone filter isn't going to go over that lol

Sorry I've not seen a vag naturally aspirated maf in ages

Yeah it's got 4 bolts to it so will that eBay link be any good? With the air filter and adaptor? Haven't got round to measuring it yet but it's definitely not a straight fit will need the 4 bolt adaptor can you link me to the right place?