Advice on Extended warranty, GAP etc

TurboBen

Reaction score
Pick up my RS3 Saloon on Monday, but can't make my mind up on all the extras that the dealership are trying to sell me. Some advice would be welcome!

First off, Audis extended warranty. Need to decide this before collection as once the car is registered it's no longer available. Is it worth getting the 1 or 2 year extended warranty? At £245 for one year and £545 for 2 years, it looks reasonable to me.

GAP - Currently looking at a 5 year GAP policy with ALA. Can anybody recommend any other companies for GAP?

Scratch and dent insurance. My dealership is offering this for £240 for 3 years. Seems OK till you read the small print and see it doesn't cover horizontal panels, so bonnet, boot and roof. Is it worth having cover for paintwork, and can anyone recommend a company?

Alloy and tyre cover. £345 from my dealer for 3 years. Seems reasonable to me, considering it covers wheels and tyres. Thoughts?

Pick up my RS3 Saloon on Monday, but can't make my mind up on all the extras that the dealership are trying to sell me. Some advice would be welcome!

First off, Audis extended warranty. Need to decide this before collection as once the car is registered it's no longer available. Is it worth getting the 1 or 2 year extended warranty? At £245 for one year and £545 for 2 years, it looks reasonable to me.

GAP - Currently looking at a 5 year GAP policy with ALA. Can anybody recommend any other companies for GAP?

Scratch and dent insurance. My dealership is offering this for £240 for 3 years. Seems OK till you read the small print and see it doesn't cover horizontal panels, so bonnet, boot and roof. Is it worth having cover for paintwork, and can anyone recommend a company?

Alloy and tyre cover. £345 from my dealer for 3 years. Seems reasonable to me, considering it covers wheels and tyres. Thoughts?
I'd do the extended warranty. I think it's good value and if you're looking to see your car a few years down the line, it will be much easier to sell with genuine Audi warranty cover on it.

I'd forget the rest of it.

Reactions: AudiNutta

Extended warranty, If you are keeping the car past 3 years, then 100% no brainer!

GAP - ALA are the best and most on the forum use them, if you google you'll get a 10% off code pretty simply, Just be certain to get Vehicle Replacement.

Scratch and Dent, waste of money as you state, doesn't cover half of the standard things likely to happen on UK roads to your car, so save the £245 and repair any if you're unlucky.

Alloy and Tyre, they don't cover wear on tyres and punctures can be repaired unless you're very unlucky, I would say you're pretty unlikely to be able to damage the alloys as the rim protectors on these Pirelli tyres is HUGE.

You can be extended warranty as you go along to a max 5yrs.
You defo need the GAP unless of course you bought your 50k audi outright !!!!!

Extended warranty, If you are keeping the car past 3 years, then 100% no brainer!

GAP - ALA are the best and most on the forum use them, if you google you'll get a 10% off code pretty simply, Just be certain to get Vehicle Replacement.

Scratch and Dent, waste of money as you state, doesn't cover half of the standard things likely to happen on UK roads to your car, so save the £245 and repair any if you're unlucky.

Alloy and Tyre, they don't cover wear on tyres and punctures can be repaired unless you're very unlucky, I would say you're pretty unlikely to be able to damage the alloys as the rim protectors on these Pirelli tyres is HUGE.

Nope you need to get return to invoice.

Nope you need to get return to invoice.

Disagree mate, if the price of the car has gone up, or you have discount shown on the invoice you will lose out, Vehicle replacement will cover any increases, and if you cannot replace it you will be either given the cash or the closest acceptable equivalent.

Reactions: T-800
Ala don’t offer replacement

Well I’ve never seen it... either way rti Is the one to go for I think

Disagree mate, if the price of the car has gone up, or you have discount shown on the invoice you will lose out, Vehicle replacement will cover any increases, and if you cannot replace it you will be either given the cash or the closest acceptable equivalent.

The thing is, with the RS3 chances are in 6 months you will never be able to replace it because they will close the order books. No benefit then is there?

The thing is, with the RS3 chances are in 6 months you will never be able to replace it because they will close the order books. No benefit then is there?

Same with back to invoice though..

Personal preference I’d say, no right or wrong option for cost difference.

Same with back to invoice though..

Personal preference I’d say, no right or wrong option for cost difference.

No benefit to replacement because there won’t be one on offer, unless it’s used.

Back to invoice will just leave you with the cash to go and buy whatever.

I got told if a new model is available then vehicle replacement will cover that.

No benefit to replacement because there won’t be one on offer, unless it’s used.

Back to invoice will just leave you with the cash to go and buy whatever.

Personal preference

Until Audi say ‘no more’ on the current RS3 then it’s an option to be considered currently.

Personal preference

Until Audi say ‘no more’ on the current RS3 then it’s an option to be considered currently.

Yes definitely :)

I’m wondering when they will, orders have been open since June... Spring I’d expect at the latest.

You can be extended warranty as you go along to a max 5yrs.
You defo need the GAP unless of course you bought your 50k audi outright !!!!!
I am going to drop £50k in cash for the car - do you think this makes the case for GAP more marginal?

Believe me you can damage them. Even with the crazy wide front end rim protection. My wheels have the scars to prove it. Nobody has admitted it till this day!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll be going for vehicle replacement GAP as I got a decent discount on the car. For a few extra quid it would be £4000 extra in my pocket should the worst happen.

I will be keeping the car for a while. It'll take me 5 years to pay off the personal loan I got to buy it, so I think the 5 year warranty is the way to go.

Reactions: zaka7, AudiNutta and teslaboy
Believe me you can damage them. Even with the crazy wide front end rim protection. My wheels have the scars to prove it. Nobody has admitted it till this day!

To be fair, with my S3 I managed to scrape one of the wheels the first day I got it! Being too careful watching the rear as I was reverse parking and kerbed the front lol Was lucky as I had a couple of issues with the car, the dealership repaired it free of charge. 2 years later and still good as new.

You'd have to be mega unlucky to do it three times to cover the cost of the insurance though.

You'd have to be mega unlucky to do it three times to cover the cost of the insurance though.

Or just a totally rubbish driver ;) I’ve seen some rough RS3’s... dented, scuffed and scraped... sickening!

i had gap via ala, scratch and dent via ala and 4 year extended warranty via audi on my S3.

The gap and extended warranty are a no brainer. In fact i bought the 5 year warranty on the rs3 on the basis it would benefit me or a big selling point if i sold the the car

scratch and dent wasn't expensive but was a waste of money. I did get a 10p scrape on the bumper after some tool swinging the car around like a moron clipped the car whilst i was in a restaurant - at the time as we were early, only one of 2 cars in the 10 spaces available in the car park - being impatient, i just got my local repairer to fix it for £125. Guess i couldnt claimed

Well I've gone for the 5 year warranty, and will sort the GAP out once I have the car. I could have had the car on Friday, but salesman told me it takes 48 hours for the warranty extension to be applied, and they're not allowed to hand the car over till it's sorted. So now I have to wait till 5pm on Tuesday.

I did pay the dealership a visit today though, and I can confirm that the RS3 saloon looks stunning in Ara Blue :)