ABS Help

czm

Reaction score
hi there
My wifes 2011 A3 has just been to the Audi dealership as she has warning lights and ABS lights come on.

They have diagnosed the problem to be a knackered ABS control module and they want around £1000 to supply and fix.

I an fairly handy with the spanner so I am sure I coudl tackle it myself

Any help, guidance and do's/donts would be great.

I suppose I need the part number first to get an idea on how much they are.
Thanks all

Knackered abs module, on 5 year car 8P, not heard that often, fault codes?

not sure on the codes, I will check the paperwork as I thin they included the diagnostic report.

Agree with Nigel, hard to believe it's gone on a relatively new car... Maybe have a look at the VCDS map and get a member to scan it for you. Assuming Audi haven't cleared the codes.

Just remembered my friend has an OBDKey reader.
Would that work OK to get the codes?

Just remembered my friend has an OBDKey reader.
Would that work OK to get the codes?

If they are generic codes then yes. Some of the more exotic codes will return 'unsupported code' on a generic reader whereas VCDS will give you the fault code regardless.

Have a look at VCDS users map and see if there's anyone nearby that will do it.

Without seeing the exact codes it would be hard to say what your specific problem is, but this may help - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/190784-how-to-repair-espabs-fault-with-vag-repair-kit/

You don't always need to replace the whole module as a repair kit, which isn't always advertised by the manufacturer, is much, much cheaper and may solve your issue.

Key things for you to find out is the exact part number of your ABS module and what errors are being logged. Once you have this it will be much easier to find a solution. If attempting a DIY, you will most likely need access to a VCDS or similar.

Thanks all for your help.
I have now source a new pump/module with the correct part numbers. Audi scanned it and reported it was ABS control unit failure, requires new control unit - cost £1044.96!!
So now I have the replacement part I can looking at swapping it over.
However couple of questions, can you just remove the module (not the pump) and replace that? Or do you have to remove the complete pump/module unit and replace?

I am assuming this method would included bleeding and VCDS or would you need if you just replaced the module as well? Also would the VCDS be required just to clear the old fault codes or do you need to reprogram the ABS module? ( I would have no idea on how to do that???)

Not sure about the process to do this, but do you know the exact error the car is logging?

OK I am doing this this weekend and still not managed to get any info on the procedure and what I need to do once a new pump/module is fitted.