A6C5 Allroad 2.5Tdi wont start

Debubyah

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have just acquired this 2.5 Tdi AKE engined Allroad, bought it in non running condition. A bit of history: previous owner told me he left the lights on one night and ran down the battery, ran down the battery so jump started it and left it idling to charge the battery. The coolant fan however has pretty much lost all of its blades (which he had forgotten about). As a result, he says it blew some coolant out. He filled it up and ran it a few times, ran fine, didnt blow coolant, but one day not long after that it refused to start butt turns over fine. He assumed it had blown a head gasket and wanted it gone.

From what I know of diesels, they dont blow head gaskets just sitting and idling so was hopeful that there was some other problem. I have purchased VCDS and it shows
00542 - Needle lift Sensor (G80): Open or Short to Plus
I have measured the plug from the #3 injector with my multimeter and have an open circuit.

My questions are:
where is the best online store to purchase a replacement injector?
Is AUDI - SKODA - VW 059 130 202 G the appropriate injector
Would this fault stop the car from starting or does the fuel pump also need to be primed first?

Any help would be much appreciated

Dale

The fuel pump has probs died as its a common fault with these, also check condition of the cams as they wear on this engine pretty bad (look down oil filler hole). it should still start with needle lift sensor fault but would struggle a bit be also down on power and really bad mpg as the fuel pump would revert to the crank sensor as the signal when to inject instead of the main signal it uses from the needle lift sensor. Use vcds to check the crank sensor is working and go from there. These pumps are a ****** to bleed if you let it run dry and also get ****** very quickly when run dry, change your fuel filter (clamp the lines first) and check for metal swarf in it. I'm currently looking for a replacement ake engine myself and have been through these issues in the past. Also very easy to remap these. I'd say easier than the pd engines and they are a piece of cake.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

fuel pump is fine, problem lay with the #3 injector plus a failed lifter. Runs fine now.