A6 C8 home detailing for beginners

Paul - Berkshire

Reaction score
Had a A6 C6 that I kept looking in reasonable condition for over 10 years form new using the following.
I now have a new A6 C8 also in Daytona Grey and asking what Auto Glym products are best used and in which order? I didn’t have benefit of this forum to ask, only guy in a parts dept so apologies if this looks totally wrong.

1. Wash car
2. Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine (for dark colours)
3. Auto Glym High Definition Wax

Also the wax and polish is 6 years old. Are they still OK to use?

Finally, if Ultra Deep Shine is recommended, I also have new A2 in White I keep clean - what alternative should I use for this as the Ultra Deep Shine suggests it is for dark colours.

Reactions: daytonamart
Had a A6 C6 that I kept looking in reasonable condition for over 10 years form new using the following.
I now have a new A6 C8 also in Daytona Grey and asking what Auto Glym products are best used and in which order? I didn’t have benefit of this forum to ask, only guy in a parts dept so apologies if this looks totally wrong.

1. Wash car
2. Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine (for dark colours)
3. Auto Glym High Definition Wax

Also the wax and polish is 6 years old. Are they still OK to use?

Finally, if Ultra Deep Shine is recommended, I also have new A2 in White I keep clean - what alternative should I use for this as the Ultra Deep Shine suggests it is for dark colours.

Minefield / pandora's box / detaiked is all subjective / you've asked all the right questions but at a wrong place my friend . Just kidding mate, congrats on the cars and welcome back to the forum.

To begin with, get rid of polish and the wax. I wouldn't use AG if I was you. There are a lot of other and better products to use at almost the same price.

Have you considered or shall I say ever decontaminated the car? If not I'd suggest add that to your wash routine as well. Happy to suggest a few items should you wish . Anyways, back to the questions asked:

Shampoos:
1- Meguiars Nxt Gen or Gold Class
2- CarPro Reset
3- Bilt Hamber Auto wash
4- @THQuattro (a forum sponsor here) has started his detailing products line-up and I have found the shampoo he offers to be brilliant with superb cleaning ability.

Car Polish - tbh, the polish applied to a car is as good as the paint surface. Polishing by hand is OK but do not expect outstanding results. If you can, invest in an entry level DA polisher, correct the paint first before applying the polish.

For polishes, I'd recommend;

1- Scholl Concept S20,
2- Perfect Finish Profline (not used it myself but a friend has)
3- Meguiars #80

Whether by hand or using a machine polisher a good pad is a must. Again, I can recommend Sonax SFX Professional hand foam pads (SFX3 to be precise).

Wax - AG HD Wax is very good but expensive. Instead you should look at investing in the below two:

1- Fusso Soft 99 for dark colour
2- Concours R222,
3- or Fusion Wax if you want to spend mega bucks. Best in the business for both dark and light coloured cars.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc, Bristle Hound, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Highly rate fusso 99 for your daily car comes out great but it's no for the looks great protection last long it is a bit harder to work with when colder
What colour are your wheels?
Gets some iron fallout cleaner for brake dust and iron decontamination
Apart from the usual shampoos and pre washes get some clay bar even though it's a new car you will feel a difference

Many thanks for replies and recommendations.

Would appreciate decontamination and clay bar recommendation.

Never used a clay bar. Is this something a non professional can use. I do have a 4 year old A6 C7 company car on the drive (in dark metallic blue) I can trial the preparation and cleaning protocol on.

Wheels are standard 19” alloys. Dark silver.

If I understand order of activities correctly.
1. Decontamination
2. Wash
3. Clay bar
4. Polish
5. Wax

Many thanks for replies and recommendations.

Would appreciate decontamination and clay bar recommendation.

Clay Bar - Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Medium
Dodo Juice Born Slippy - you would need this to use alongside the claybar. It is a shampoo based concentrated lubricant which needs to be mixed with water and lasts ages. The key with claybarring the body is to keep the paint and the claybar wet/lubricated at all times. It needs to be mixed with water so any empty spray bottle would be fine.

Decontamination
1- Bilt Hamber Korrosol, or
2- CarPro IroxX

Never used a clay bar. Is this something a non professional can use. I do have a 4 year old A6 C7 company car on the drive (in dark metallic blue) I can trial the preparation and cleaning protocol on.

Very easy to use. Just remember to keep it lubricated while claybarring the car. Expect to see some marring after the use - it is very normal. You would need to wash the car again after using the claybarring.

Wheels are standard 19” alloys. Dark silver.

Alloy cleaner
You can use Bilt Hamber Korrosol or Ironx on the alloys as well. However, if you want a dedicated alloy wheel cleaner then again;

1- Bilt Hamber Alloy Wheel Cleaner, or
2- ValetPro Bilbery Wheel cleaner

If I understand order of activities correctly.
1. Decontamination
2. Wash
3. Clay bar
4. Polish
5. Wax

1- Decontaminate - I usually use snowfoam first followed by Korrosol or Ironx but you don't have to.

2- Rinse
3- Wash with shampoo
4- Claybar
5- Wash again
6- Polish
7- Use IPA to remove polish residue (GTechniq Panel Wipe - again would last aged)
8- Wax

Stand back and admire all the hardwork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and cuke2u
Awesome.
Much appreciated.

Not a problem buddy.

Just make sure that before you hit the paintwork the paint is free of any tar, dirt and grime. You can pre-rinse the car before using Korrosol and IronX but there is no harm in using them on a dry car. It is a lot easier to see the fallout on a light coloured vehicle then on a dark colour car - just make sure you rinse the car thoroughly after the use and before shampooing the car. If there is any that is left on the paint, the claybar will pick it up.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Make sure the clay bar process is well lubricated I just use my shampoo for lubricant

With the clay bar don't use the whole thing just tear a bit off roll into a ball then flatten it into a pancake ready to go once it gets dirty on one side just fold in roll flatten carry on

Reactions: V6_Man
1DA5AED4 738D 4C34 8835 FCB6B47437D7

2BACCD71 7177 4844 BC5E 8972BDE36969

After my travels, it was first full wash of the year.
Autoglym snowfoam with new attachment for jetwash and using a full Autoglym care pack I was given (totally unused by friend) wash, polish for darker vehicles, HD Wax & alloy wheel care. I didn’t have time for the windows. It certainly requires the claybar treatment, however I’ll practice the claybar work on the 2016 A6 C7 before applying to my new A6 C8!

Really appreciate the advise and tips above and on other threads. I’ll post pictures after the claybar treatment

Reactions: THQuattro and Bristle Hound
View attachment 178932
View attachment 178933
After my travels, it was first full wash of the year.
Autoglym snowfoam with new attachment for jetwash and using a full Autoglym care pack I was given (totally unused by friend) wash, polish for darker vehicles, HD Wax & alloy wheel care. I didn’t have time for the windows. It certainly requires the claybar treatment, however I’ll practice the claybar work on the 2016 A6 C7 before applying to my new A6 C8!

Really appreciate the advise and tips above and on other threads. I’ll post pictures after the claybar treatment
@Paul - Berkshire - A6 looking fab buddy :thumbs up:

Looks great, got the same colour A6 avant on order so seeing yours has confirmed I’ve made the right choice!

For maintenance and top up after a wash I would recommend Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD), cheap but a great product. Use it as a drying aid, with the car wet after you’ve rinsed it, spray on and wipe off/spread with a damp microfibre cloth. Lasts 4-6 weeks but I apply it every clean. Great product which adds a real gloss and takes no time to apply.

Last edited: