A5 1.4 TFSI - enough power?

technics100

Reaction score
Hi,

There are some cracking lease deals on at the minute for the A5 S-line with the 1.4 TFSi engine (150bhp) My only concern is that is it under powered in such a large family car? I had a 163bhp A4 1.8T B6 and my wife has the 1.2 TFSi in the yeti, which is fine up to 80 mph, but after that it's gutless.. Anyone have that engine and can comment on real world performance / driveability?

PS.. the engine is also available in the A4 Avant black edition which I'm also considering..

Thanks

Out of interest, what's the deal? I've ordered an A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI manual S-Line with just the rear camera added for £305 p/m with 6k miles per p/a with on a 3+23 deal. It was £30 p/m cheaper than the equivalent 1.4 model.

I hear good offers from VW Financial Services are being reined in from next month as in the long term too many off its cars out on lease is skewing the second-hand market for VW and Audi.

which is fine up to 80 mph, but after that it's gutless..
Speed limit is 70!!! so you still have an extra 10 to play with lol ;):p

Out of interest, what's the deal? I've ordered an A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI manual S-Line with just the rear camera added for £305 p/m with 6k miles per p/a with on a 3+23 deal. It was £30 p/m cheaper than the equivalent 1.4 model.

I hear good offers from VW Financial Services are being reined in from next month as in the long term too many off its cars out on lease is skewing the second-hand market for VW and Audi.
That is a good deal, I thought this A4 was good https://www.v4b.co.uk/personal-leas...aloon-14t-fsi-s-line-4dr-leatheralc-261116973

Reactions: HMG1K

who is that through? is it worth taking an offer to Audi to see if they will match it?

www.selectcarleasing.co.uk - very good customer service. The guy who is poking after my deal is Tom, could not have been any more helpful or unbiased.

The A5 deal I got at the start of last month was pulled 10 days ago (huge demand) but is back on - although around £10-£15 p/m more this time.

It's also got some cracking A4 deals too

Reactions: technics100
I had an A4 1.4 TSI Sport 16 plate on lease, great car, smooth and quiet and fast enough in every day use, but they ARE under powered when loaded and attempting quick overtakes, so they make you drive more carefully.

If your not a speed freak, they are perfectly fine.

Reactions: technics100
I had an A4 1.4 TSI Sport 16 plate on lease, great car, smooth and quiet and fast enough in every day use, but they ARE under powered when loaded and attempting quick overtakes, so they make you drive more carefully.

If your not a speed freak, they are perfectly fine.

Thanks for that, i'm not a speed freak but do like a bit of poke.. i'm currently driving a 2.8 4motion passat.. with 3 kids and a dog it will be filled, so power may be an issue..

Just got my mate a deal for an a6 avant black edition 10k miles pcp for £360 a month all in which I thought was amazing

Just got my mate a deal for an a6 avant black edition 10k miles pcp for £360 a month all in which I thought was amazing

If it had over £10k of extras, was over 24m and they put £500 down, it would be good...

If it had £0 extras, was over 48m and they put £20k down upfront....not so good...

The cost of the car, the amount of discount, the cost of the expected depreciation (given the GFV) and the amount of interest you are paying to borrow the money...these are the important things to focus on! Not the monthly amount in complete isolation...it tells you next to nothing about the overall cost, not does it give any indication of 'value'.

If it had over £10k of extras, was over 24m and they put £500 down, it would be good...

If it had £0 extras, was over 48m and they put £20k down upfront....not so good...

The cost of the car, the amount of discount, the cost of the expected depreciation (given the GFV) and the amount of interest you are paying to borrow the money...these are the important things to focus on! Not the monthly amount in complete isolation...it tells you next to nothing about the overall cost, not does it give any indication of 'value'.

I understand what you are saying but in reality a vast number of people buy there for work and get allowances to cover the costs. Also the chance of remaining in the agreement for the full term is neglable.

From memory I think it was 1k down over 4 years, I don’t know the final payment but for a 43k car I thought it was decent as I paid nearer £500 for my black edition a6 a few years back.

I know the new a6 comes out soon so some very good deals to be had

I understand what you are saying but in reality a vast number of people buy there for work and get allowances to cover the costs. Also the chance of remaining in the agreement for the full term is neglable.

From memory I think it was 1k down over 4 years, I don’t know the final payment but for a 43k car I thought it was decent as I paid nearer £500 for my black edition a6 a few years back.

I know the new a6 comes out soon so some very good deals to be had

Yea I know why people buy cars based on monthly payments, but that wasn't what I was getting at. You're indicating that your mate got an amazing deal because he pays £360 per month. I could get a RS6 for £300 per month...it is completely meaningless as it doesn't take into account all the other costs associated, i.e. likely a much larger upfront payment!

Likewise, your deal where you paid £500 could have been for a higher price car, with more extras, with bigger mileage and a small deposit, over a shorter term. It may have included debt from another PCP deal previous to that...I mean there is so much that impacts monthly cost.

If he's likely to come out early, he will have to cover the inevitable shortfall between the cars value and the finance owing at whatever point he wants to change (I'm guessing probably around year 3?), so yet another cost.

E.g. Discounts on a no option A6 Avant BE 1.8TFSI S-Tronic is 24%. On a 48m PCP 5k miles and £1k down, I would pay £357.14pm.
By month 36 I would have £18,700 still outstanding on finance. However, predicted trade value of the same A6 after 36m is only £17k. So I would have to pay £1,700 in negative equity.

So we've gone from £360 per month...to £1000 up front as well...to around £2k in negative equity he will also have to pay for if he trades in early at 3yrs....and then depending on mileage, if he exceeds that, the added cost that will have on lower valuation at trade in, or excess mileage charges if keeping till end of agreement. That's why concentration on just the monthly cost is so dangerous...

Why do you think dealers put the initial payment in small writing on adverts for PCP deals (same for lease deals)...? Because it gives an indication that the cost is much lower than what it is in reality!

With PCP you are in negative equity from the moment you drive out of the showroom

It's usually towards the end that you start getting into positive equity, and by the very end may have a few thousand if the market holds well.

It's very, very rare to exit a PCP mid contract and not have to pay something towards clearing the finance as part of the deal.

I understand that in fact the only time I’ve ever been in the plus was with my Audi as the contributions were so good it technically paid for the depreciation

I fell foul of pcp after that car as I purchased an rs6 which was awesome but not ideal for work lol I then went into a second hand pcp which killed me and I lost nearly 5k so lesson learnt.

It was the point I was making, if you get a great contribution deal there’s some great ones out there especially Audi and bmw. Work mate just got a 640 bmw in interest free with just over 20k dealer contribution!!