A4 Cab 3.0tdi or 2.0tfsi

Scruffvdub

Reaction score
hi all
I used to own an A3 3.2 sport with tiptronic, it suffered the dreaded PRND flashing dash lights and that was the end of that car.
Now I'm looking at buying a A4 convertible and I have a choice of two. One is a 3.0tdi sline Quattro with a tiptronic gearbox on a 07 plate, it's done about 110k and has service history, but I'm worried about the tiptronic.
The other is a 2.0tfsi with a 6 speed manual box on a 08 plate and it's a final edition this has done 95k and full service history, both have roughly the same spec and cost about the same.

Are there any known serious faults with either of these? I'm just after a bit of advice/help

Cant comment on the tiptronic box on the 3.0TDI although I would definitely have this one after the immense power (mainly torque) you can get out of it.

However the 2.tfsi petrol are fantastic as well. Tough one, but i'd say for all around fun/driveability, I'd probably go with the big boy 3.0tdi.

Im sure diesel experts will reply to you..

i had a tiptronic (cvt) 1.9tdi avant, that had catastrophic gearbox failiure, they are all made of cheese and i wouldnt touch another audi tip box from before 2008 again. The manual is defo gonna be a safer option.

CVT box is different to the tip tronic uto, CVT are aweful in these, wont have any issues with the tip
3.0 TDI get my vote, but i have one
Remap straight to 280bhp for £250.
DPF Delete, EGR Blank and remap more responsive again and a rempa to 280-290bhp
Uprate the turbo, FMIC and you are easily over 300bhp and mosnster torque

Reactions: DrStrange
Thanks for the replies, I've gone for the 3.0 tdi. Jasesapphy I was looking at a MTM tune but that comes in at £500. Is this a waste of money?

Don't think you need it

Motorsport developments get 275-280 on just a remap for £250 (car has run perfect)

If I had my time again, £650 at unicorn (supplier on here) gets you a solid 285bhp but takes out DPF and EGR
Better response, more MPG, no future issue with both dpf or EGR
Stops recirc of exhaust fumes stopping engine coking up
Anyone who says remap cause issues
I remapped by 330d at 30k, it has 272K now

Reactions: Scruffvdub
Agree with the above.

Even other audi tuners say Rick is your man!!!

I bought a Auto B7 Cab. Love it but should have got the 3.0TDI Triptronic. Ex Audi Tech who services mine says the 3.0Tdi is the one and less hassle with the Triptronic.

I bought a Auto B7 Cab. Love it but should have got the 3.0TDI Triptronic. Ex Audi Tech who services mine says the 3.0Tdi is the one and less hassle with the Triptronic.

What did you buy?

Well I'm glad I went with the 3.0 tdi it's a pleasure to drive, so smooth. Now I need to look into a remap like jasesapphy has recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm glad I went with the 3.0 tdi it's a pleasure to drive, so smooth. Now I need to look into a remap like jasesapphy has recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a good remap and it WILL transform the way the car moves.

different car with remap, and RS4 rear anti roll bar

Yep! RS4 anti roll bar on my Cab has TRANSFORMED my car. No im not being dramatic ;-p

You can buy from TPS

It's around £170 for ARB , brackets and bushes

Reactions: Gazah19