a4 b8 s line 2.0 tdi flywheel ?

sal1m

Reaction score
Hi just bought a 2010 ,98000 mile a4 b8 2.0 tdi (143)privately and noticed rumbling noise only when the clutch is pressed down.
Is this the flywheel gone? The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping.

Would put money on it being the clutch release bearing mate. Flywheel & clutch can be checked at same time when gearbox is out..
But once you go down this road it would be senseless not to replace the clutch at same time.

I had exact same noise from my 2008 2.0 Tdi 143 S line when I bought mine, turned out my release bearing had gone and dual mass flywheel also on its way out. So ended up replacing the lot including the clutch while it was stripped.

Reactions: sal1m
100% its the release bearing mines still like that now after 11 months.......also eurocarparts are doing flywheel/clutch kits around£500 sachs/luk seems good price
Hi just bought a 2010 ,98000 mile a4 b8 2.0 tdi (143)privately and noticed rumbling noise only when the clutch is pressed down.
Is this the flywheel gone? The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping.

My car has started to judder, feels like I'm driving over a cobbled street, but when I push clutch pedal down it stops. Could this be the release bearing or flywheel, clutch feels fine, or maybe a cv joint, although no clunk from joints.

Advice and info much appreciated.

JG

Having my clutch kit (inc flywheel)/timing belt/water pump done tomorrow 😏

Nice one mate, hope it cures your problem. Looks like I'll be getting clutch & flywheel done also, would still like to know if it's defo what I need before spending lots of £'s and it doesn't cure it. :ermm:

Nice one mate, hope it cures your problem. Looks like I'll be getting clutch & flywheel done also, would still like to know if it's defo what I need before spending lots of £'s and it doesn't cure it. :ermm:

John mine did exact same when pulling away it gradually got worse so I replaced clutch and flywheel which sorted it out, £800 all in done at Awsome gti in Manchester, the cheapest I could find the bits was at darkside but Awsome price matched it for me.

John mine did exact same when pulling away it gradually got worse so I replaced clutch and flywheel which sorted it out, £800 all in done at Awsome gti in Manchester, the cheapest I could find the bits was at darkside but Awsome price matched it for me.

SI, was yours juddering when driving and went away when you push down on clutch?

I'm booked in for my usual guy to have a look tomorrow, spoke to him on phone today and he thinks flywheel, I've got a warranty so that should lighten the blow, priced the parts on europarts website and they're around £450, just in case warranty company try to **** me about, if so I'll get it done then fight with them afterwards! Not long to aitp so need it done. :rockwoot:

SI, was yours juddering when driving and went away when you push down on clutch?

I'm booked in for my usual guy to have a look tomorrow, spoke to him on phone today and he thinks flywheel, I've got a warranty so that should lighten the blow, priced the parts on europarts website and they're around £450, just in case warranty company try to **** me about, if so I'll get it done then fight with them afterwards! Not long to aitp so need it done. :rockwoot:

I had warranty when mine went but the didn't want to know, mine only juddered when setting off, it never did it while driving though, don't know what kit is on euro car parts but I'd check the one out from darkside, as I have heard of people replacing flywheel and it start doing it again in under 10k :/ I hope mine doesn't go in under 10k lol. Yes not long now so I'd get it booked in pal

Last edited:
Reactions: RS5 JON
I had warranty when mine went but the didn't want to know, mine only juddered when setting off, it never did it while driving though, do t know what kit is on euro car parts but I'd check the one out from darkside, as I have heard of people replacing flywheel and it start doing again in under 10k :/ I hope mine does t go in under 10k lol. It yes not long now so I'd ET it booked in pal

Cheers SI, I'll see what he says tomorrow, and also look at darkside. Europarts do both LUK & Sachs, I'll take advise from my mechanic to which one is best, and will last, hopefully, a lot longer than 10k!!!

If it's not sorted for aitp I'll just hire an R8, lol!

Reactions: SI-W85