A4 B8 2.0tdi 170 oil level rising

ian reid

Reaction score
Hi all I'm have a problem with my A4 B8 2.0tdi 170 oil level rising. Had anyone had the same problem. Oil was changed about a month ago and only done around 900 miles since that.

Many short journeys? Sounds like it is trying to actively regenerate the DPF but she being cut short while doing so

Most of my journeys are short on average 7 miles. would the regen cause the oil level to rise ?

IIRC it is unburnt fuel from the regeneration attempts causing the oil level to rise

so whats my options dpf removal and map it out ? and is it ok to do this ? sorry no very good with this stuff.

It would most likely fail an MOT without a DPF, now it is not illegal to remove them but it is illegal to drive around without one fitted if it was part of your cars manufactured specification, and it's also a modification that you could not get insured on, so technicality your insurance is null and void! Also if you were the car behind would you want to breath in all of the particulates coming out of your engine.

Personally I would ditch the diesel and look around for a petrol, if you only doing 7 mile runs the engine is not getting up to temperature, and these short trips don't do an favors for TDI engines as they never get up to the optimal running temperature.

we had a 2.0 tfsi 2011 quattro but it had the oil consump problem so bought the diesl to prevent this happening again and here we are
with the 170bhp diesel mapped to 220bhp oil probs are happening . is there a sports dpf for these cars

In the short term it needs an Italian tune up to clear out the ash in the DPF.

I owned a 3.0 oil burner for eight years doing a modest mileage without any trouble but most of my journeys were 15 miles or much more.

Reactions: RS4B5
Assume you aren't losing any coolant.

The car must be over-fuelling quite a lot to push up the sump capacity and if it is happening, it is not good for lubrication as whilst diesel is an "oil" its lubrication qualities are nowhere near as good as engine oil.

I appreciate everyone goes on about short trips and DPFs (much of the fear is based on early DPF introduction and teething problems) but a single good run once per month should just about keep the DPF clean on a modern common rail diesel. I only do around 7,00o miles per annum (mixed driving but a lot of shorter journeys) and I get no problems.

If you have DPF problems because regens are not happening, you should have had various warning lights by now. You mention a remap, are you happy with the reputation of the firm that did it?

The mention of a remap could be concerning, if its a smokey map it'll be clogging your DPF and the constant request for regens will be causing your problems.
Have you got the option to get the car reverted to standard.

Reactions: RS4B5
The mention of a remap could be concerning, if its a smokey map it'll be clogging your DPF and the constant request for regens will be causing your problems.
Have you got the option to get the car reverted to standard.

agreed, could be poor map. would recommend getting it get checked and replaced for a quality file if poor quality

Get the vag dpf app
A rarely do more then a few miles in my 2.0 tdi and dpf is great because I can monitor it with this app.

hi all not been on for a while the map was done by ecotune in glasgow and verywell know in the vag world 4wd dyno, the cars going over on the 5th on january for a forced regen and check of the map etc. i dropped the oil and has went from 5 ltr to 6 ltr in less than 800miles.
what the app call for the dpf . and i can see me bying a s4 very shortly as i do short runs anyway.