A4 b5 quattro wheel size

Gary Bowden

Reaction score
Hi,putting some 18x8 and 18x9 wheels on my car tyres will all be 225/40/18 will this work ok??as i been told all wheels and tyres on a quattro have to be the same size

Going for the stretched look,thanks for the reply but doesn’t answer the question

Hi,putting some 18x8 and 18x9 wheels on my car tyres will all be 225/40/18 will this work ok??as i been told all wheels and tyres on a quattro have to be the same size

Goodyear Tyre Data sheet says 7.5 to 9.0J "permitted rim width" see chart:

225 40 18 tyre data

Reactions: VAG-Slag
Cheers mate that clears tyre sizes up,just need the answer to the question about having different rim sizes on a quattro?? As the tyres will be 225/40/18 all around then i was thinking it will be ok

Reactions: 45bvtc
Cheers mate that clears tyre sizes up,just need the answer to the question about having different rim sizes on a quattro?? As the tyres will be 225/40/18 all around then i was thinking it will be ok

Not acceptable across the axle i.e., side to side. Lots of opinion about front to rear mind, some say yes and others no.

However, consider the 8P RS3 i.e, mine: I run the Audi optional set-up and that's a 255/30 on an 8.5J 19" rim at the front and a 225/30 on an 8.0J 19" rim on the rear and the last time I looked the 8P RS3 sure is 'quattro' using a Haldex system. And here's a visual of a front and rear together (and that doesn't happen much...):

Tyre size difference quattro

Reactions: Gary Bowden
The b5 uses a Torsen diff, completely different to haldex.

You’ll have to search on willtheyfit.com as your stretching the tyre you’ll reduce diameter.

I think they say 2% or more on the torsen diff can wind it up creating issues and burning the diff out in a worst case.