A4 Avant rear wiper issue

Powdertank

Reaction score
the rear wiper on my 2002 Avant has started to run all the time, the only way I could stop it was to un plug the motor, any ideas ? Thanks. Darrell

Corrosion inside the motor or the loom through the tailgate has wires that have shorted together!

Yep, probably goosed. Strip out interior trim and identify motor. The brass pipe that runs to the water jet shears, water ends up in motor. Audi do sell repair kit (might be VW part) but damned expensive for a bit of pipe. I'd opt for second hand motor. Lube nylon cogs in motor prior to installation and try not to use rear water jet if it's frosty.

Less problems, looks better. Wash your car more lol :)

Saloons/Vans dont have them. Wing mirrors do the job fine :)

Reactions: James.c
thanks, will remove the motor and check it out, I will let you know how I get on.

Less problems, looks better. Wash your car more lol :)

Saloons/Vans dont have them. Wing mirrors do the job fine :)
I think you'll find most vans DO have them. Saloons don't suffer the same low-pressure on the back window. Remove rear wiper - lose all vision through the rear screen :)

Reactions: TheDriver
I think you'll find most vans DO have them. Saloons don't suffer the same low-pressure on the back window. Remove rear wiper - lose all vision through the rear screen :)

My back window is tinted and no wiper. I can still see through it fine. So no, you don't lose ALL vision :)

Last edited:
I spent a week without a wiper last winter - and yes I did! Then again, I live in the country - where there is mud!

Mine was leaking,i stripped it regreased it and removed the rust,rtv silicone where the water jet is and hey presto £60 saved...for how long i dont know.