A4 Avant Quattro poor MPG

GrantyBoy

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Car is a 2013 A4 Avant TDI 170 manual Quattro, black edition, 9,000 miles on the clock.

I just did a 750 miles round trip, all motorway or duel carriage way driving. I was on the M6 with low traffic so a constant speed, wasn't driving like a numpty etc. Cruise control set to 70mph with two adults in the car.

I only averaged 43 mpg which I was surprised at. What should I expect MPG for motorway cruising, I was expecting much higher.

That engine is not renowned for good mpg. Plenty of posts about if from owners on here. I average 43 mpg in my 2.0tfsi.
I averaged around 40 mpg in a 2013 A6 170 TDI I had for 2 months.

That's pretty poor, my 3 litre tdi quattro did 44mpg on a 130 mile mixed motorway & A road run last weekend, I could have squeezed a bit more out of it too but I do like to open her up occasionally.

A mix between 50-70mph I got a max of 44mpg on my manual saloon 1.8 tfsi with only just me in there.
Audis unrealistic figures quoted 58mpg in urban roads, when pigs fly!

That's pretty poor, my 3 litre tdi quattro did 44mpg on a 130 mile mixed motorway & A road run last weekend, I could have squeezed a bit more out of it too but I do like to open her up occasionally.
I really need to try one of these 3.0 TDi's one of these days!

Reactions: Daggerit
Hi Folks

Car is a 2013 A4 Avant TDI 170 manual Quattro, black edition, 9,000 miles on the clock.

I just did a 750 miles round trip, all motorway or duel carriage way driving. I was on the M6 with low traffic so a constant speed, wasn't driving like a numpty etc. Cruise control set to 70mph with two adults in the car.

I only averaged 43 mpg which I was surprised at. What should I expect MPG for motorway cruising, I was expecting much higher.
Lol. Id kill for that. Just done gatwick and back (280 miles) constant 70-80 and got realtime 36. Joker of a dis telling me 55.(2009 170 tdi)

Yes I am disappointed with my similar car for fuel economy on motorway. I am however pleased with it around town. I get almost the same fuel economy in town as I do on the motorway! Go figure. Anyway, you are getting better than average economy for this engine. If you check here you can see what real people get:

Audi A4 Avant 2008 2.0 TDI 170ps quattro - Real MPGs | Honest John