A4 3.0 TDi Quattro ....

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these with the auto box ? if so what do you think to it and would you go for SE with lots of toys or S Line but basic ?

I have had one for a year now, and am very pleased with it.

I went for the SE, because I found the Sport (S-Line) suspension a little too harsh. This is personal choice, and most people will tell you that the S Line suspension is fine.
- I would urge you to try it first.

I have added the RS4 anti-roll bar though - this made a big difference to the high speed cornering of the car, without compromising the comfort of the SE-spec suspension.
The 3 litre diesel quattro with the automatic box is a heavy old lump, so the extra rigidity afforded by the ARB upgrade is useful.
For £65 - it's a worthwhile upgrade, and only takes 1/2 hour to do yourself.

Performance is good - more well rounded than the four cylinder models, particulalry good for motorway driving.

Again, many will say that the four pot, 170 BHP engines are diamonds, but again it's down to personal preference.

I like a lazy engine - big displacement and lots of cylinders, as I spend all day on the motorway. For me, a six cylinder three litre engine is just ticking over at 80mph.

One thing I did do was to get a remap - I went to AmD, but the guys have noe moved to APS, so I would go there.

It has given me an extra 50 miles to a tank of Diesel.

Also, when the car is on cruise control, it doesn't hunt for gears at all - just stays in sixth, even up pretty steep hills!

- the other benefit of the remap was the pull, now overtaking is absolutely effortless, but retaining the smoothness!

Remap was the best £500 I have spent.

I got the car second hand, and the only thing I would have liked to see in hindsight would be the seats with adjustable lumber support, as I suffer from back pain.

Apart from that, it's ideal for my needs.

Thanks for the reply, it was actually the SE I was looking at. I too fancy the big diesel lump, I have the 140ps diesel and its a rough old lump, even the Ford TDCi is smoother, the 2.0 BM engine is on a different planet !!!!

The only thing that is a priority is seat comfort, thats why I want to change the Golf and the reason why the Volvo S60 D5 is top of the list !

I moved from a BMW 330d to the Audi, but in doing so tested pretty much everything around.

I wanted an estate this time, as I occasionally carry a lot of PCs in one go.

I very nearly went for another beemer, but the Audi pipped it on engine power and economy.

In hindsight, I actually find the beemer more comfortable to drive for loner periods, as the seats were more comfortable (I had sports seats in the SE spec model)

Also, on the beemer, the accelerator pedal is the organ pedal type - this is only just filtering into the new model Audis now (A3, TT and R8) but still not there on the A4.

The organ pedal is the one thing I miss the most about the beemr, as I could drive for 8 hours straight with no issues.
Now with the Audi, after an 8 hour drive, I am walking around like a raspberry ripple when I get to the other end.

I would love to be able to retrofit this to my A4!