A4 1.9 TDI Engine Shaking/Wobbling

monty478

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a Audi A4 1.9 TDI and recently the engine has started to shake/wobble quite a lot on idle once the engine has warmed up. When the car is started from cold its fine no shaking/wobble on idle at all, after its warmed up say 15/20 minutes on idle only it starts rocking from side to side.

If i increase the revs on idle just ever so slightly the shaking stops and engine is stable, pushing the clutch up or down out of gear makes no difference. If i have the car in gear and bring up the clutch the engine stops shaking and becomes stable. Whilst driving the car its absolutely fine and doesn't shake or vibrate at all.

I've had a look around the engine and the egr valve is leaking and has been dripping on the manifold, I've taken the cam cover off and where the injectors are there is oil there and the electric connections that connect to the injectors have a slight covering of oil. Should there be any oil where the injectors are? I've attached some images.

20160723 210929 20160723 211014 20160723 211020

What is your mileage?
Sounds to me like its the Dual mass Flywheel, mine is on 140K and is on its third. Mine is auto though so the symptoms may be different with a clutch involved.

Mileage is 110K, if it was the dual mass flywheel, how would increasing the revs remove the shake/wobble without engaging/disengaging the clutch?