A3 wont start HELP

A3 money pitt

Reaction score
Hi all, A3 2005 2.0 TDI Sportsback.

Had issues with it turning over, mechanic fitted 2 glow plugs, injection wiring loom, and a throttle body. All was good but the problem returned, car was taking some time to fire up, battery ok, fuel present. Called Green flag who said fuel is draining back wards. Car fired up and no issues, last week drove car off drive and 50 meters down the road and cut out, wont start. Green flag called again and advised possible Fuel switch, which in fact a fuel temp sensor or crank sensor.

No Engine management lights on dash, fuses are fine and fuel pump is working as removed pipes and its flowing through, any ideas as not sure what else to consider.

Needs properly diagnosing with vcds to check readings & is the fuel returning ok?

Needs properly diagnosing with vcds to check readings & is the fuel returning ok?
Hi appreciate your response, fuel is returning ok, no errors on vcds, had three mechanics look at it now and one seems to be 100% confident its fuel related and suggests the fuel pump on the side of the block, not cheap so looking at how to establish if its thats before i go further, but it could end up being parts roulette

The tandem pump you mean on the right side?

Check the relay under the dash is fully pushed into the relay backplate, mine did this & it wasn't home, but the conductive force in the connection created a supply of power after lots of easy start & it fired up, so random, but after me trying various things I checked wiring all way through & found relay was loose.

Should have been obvious tbh as going up hill killed it which was due to relay moving backwards away from the connection.

yes thats the one, to the right of the temp fuel sensor, he said its connected to the brake vacuum system if i recall correct

i had a solid brake pedal a couple of weeks ago, and my mechanic had to tape up the brake pipe on the bulk head which i think feeds the tandem pump as it had spilt

Taped it up, mate get it replaced, its a vacuum pipe, he should of known better.

heck the relay under the

Check the relay under the dash is fully pushed into the relay backplate, mine did this & it wasn't home, but the conductive force in the connection created a supply of power after lots of easy start & it fired up, so random, but after me trying various things I checked wiring all way through & found relay was loose.

Should have been obvious tbh as going up hill killed it which was due to relay moving backwards away from the connection.
will give that a check thanks, will google its location now

will give that a check thanks, will google its location now
not sure which one it is tbf pal, under drivers footwell, can see about 8, various sizes, mine is the same will fire up with easy start, they are all seated but one does look a bit burnt on one of the pins, only slighlty though