A3 tdi dsg turbo and dual mass problems

Jonesy76

Reaction score
Hi all mentioned in another post of my problems my turbo is whining when you Rev the car and also my engine shudders now and again when on idle , I have now decided to buy a new full 3 piece dual mass clutch kit sachs and a new garret turbo total cost of £930 does this sound reasonable in respect of price cheers

Why do you need a clutch kit if your car is DSG?

The DSG gearboxes just take one DSG dual mass flywheel.

Hi mate it's a 2ltr tdi bkd engine !! And sayam when I phoned europarts they said I need dual mass flywheel and clutch and csc !!

Hi mate it's a 2ltr tdi bkd engine !! And sayam when I phoned europarts they said I need dual mass flywheel and clutch and csc !!

To me that sounds like it's for the manual 2.0 TDI. On the euro car parts website, there is a description for one of the flywheels that says "for Direct shift Gearbox". Go with that one. The clutch packs on these DSG boxes aren't really changed (whereas it's more common to change the clutch on a manual gearbox). It's the flywheels that are more common to go wrong.

Are you sure you explained it is the DSG gearbox?

I have a DSG diesel, like you, and the dual mass flywheel was changed only.

The guy on the other end of the phone only works in a call centre or branch, he isn't a mechanic...

Thanks for info mate the lad that's changing it said its best to replace the whole lot once it's out so bit unsure mate as I don't know a lot about them the car has covered 100,000 though what would you wreckon mate !! The turbo defo needs changing as its whining and not worth taking the risk !!

OK, so I'm not a mechanic but here's the low down to the best of my knowledge and what I am doing with my own car:

1. Dual mass flywheel chattering at idle - replace it ASAP. Like I said, my car is 2009 59 plate DSG and I only changed the flywheel, I think everyone you are speaking to is assuming the car is a manual. Indeed, if it were manual then I would say the same - change everything while it is out.

2. Turbo whine - sometimes a whining/whistling turbo will go pop immediately, others have covered 20,000 miles plus whilst making that noise and have been fine. You need to isolate the cause of the noise. Is the turbo starved of oil? In which case look at the oil pump. Is there a boost leak which is causing the turbo to spin faster (and make noise) trying to achieve a boost pressure it won't ever hit because there is a leak. Check all the pipework to and from the air intake and the intercooler. Personally, I'd leave it on the car until it pops and my turbo is whistling right now on my car and I've left it on for now.

Hi mate the turbo whistles and whines so I have a new garret turbo and a new dual mass and clutch kit getting fitted next week also I'm upgrading oil feed pipe to the turbo so should all be done next weekend hopefully

No worries at least you'll have peace of mind.

Still can't get my head round why you need clutch kit in a DSG car...please report back and let us know if you figure it out