A3 matrix headlamp DRL

Phil Gray

Reaction score
I have a 2016 A3 Sline, & the drivers side drl has stopped working, first it went dim at the bottom, then stopped completely
All modules have been changed, still no DRL ... audi want £1200 for a new light!!!
Has anyone else had this problem & managed to repair it?

I had the drivers side turn signal stop working when I had my A3 with matrix. Before throwing it at warranty, as I don’t like going to dealers for anything if I can help it, I changed out the modules so know that the DRL is basically made up of light pipes with SMD leds at the ends, which are mounted on a control module. Turn signal leds are actually a part of the cluster but the DRL has its own module, sided, which can be changed. If this has been done, and the replacement modules coded in correctly, and the issue remains then this would suggest a problem with the cluster, ie light tube, which means a replacement cluster is needed.

I would suggest getting a used one, not a price thing but more for looks. Over time the light tubes discolour and turn a little yellow. My A3 ended up with a new cluster under warranty and as a result one drl was white and the other was a little yellow. £1200 is pretty good tho as to purchase a new cluster trade is around £1900.00.

I had the drivers side turn signal stop working when I had my A3 with matrix. Before throwing it at warranty, as I don’t like going to dealers for anything if I can help it, I changed out the modules so know that the DRL is basically made up of light pipes with SMD leds at the ends, which are mounted on a control module. Turn signal leds are actually a part of the cluster but the DRL has its own module, sided, which can be changed. If this has been done, and the replacement modules coded in correctly, and the issue remains then this would suggest a problem with the cluster, ie light tube, which means a replacement cluster is needed.

I would suggest getting a used one, not a price thing but more for looks. Over time the light tubes discolour and turn a little yellow. My A3 ended up with a new cluster under warranty and as a result one drl was white and the other was a little yellow. £1200 is pretty good tho as to purchase a new cluster trade is around £1900.00.
Thanks for the info.
What I've done so far, I changed the module for a used one off ebay, & it's no different.
I know they're handed, but plugged in the right hand one into the left side, & left dangling, but it worked fine, so the problem appears to be inside the headlight.i was told that it wouldn't need coding to the car, don't know if that info is correct?
I can't bring myself to pay £1200+ for effectively a side light bulb,

Thanks for the info.
What I've done so far, I changed the module for a used one off ebay, & it's no different.
I know they're handed, but plugged in the right hand one into the left side, & left dangling, but it worked fine, so the problem appears to be inside the headlight.i was told that it wouldn't need coding to the car, don't know if that info is correct?
I can't bring myself to pay £1200+ for effectively a side light bulb,
If a new, ie virgin, DRL module is fitted then it will need to be coded. Used should work. A replacement headlight co trip module would need to be coded regardless.

if you have tested by swapping your existing modules from side to side, and even by replacing the one in question, and you can see three SMD illuminated then your issue is in the headlight cluster. Might be possible to bake and open it to try and fix but if you want everything working again you are most likely going to need a replacement.

If a new, ie virgin, DRL module is fitted then it will need to be coded. Used should work. A replacement headlight co trip module would need to be coded regardless.

if you have tested by swapping your existing modules from side to side, and even by replacing the one in question, and you can see three SMD illuminated then your issue is in the headlight cluster. Might be possible to bake and open it to try and fix but if you want everything working again you are most likely going to need a replacement.
The 3 smds don't illuminate at all.
I think it's an internal wiring issue,
So can the headlight be opened up if its heated up? There are a few about with badly damaged casings that are cheap, but if they work, maybe could swap over the internals?
The only other thing to note, is when this 1st happened, the lower part of the drl went orange, & I swapped the module in the middle of the light from left to right, & this made no difference, then a couple of days later the whole drl stopped working.
I swapped them back, but made no difference.

The 3 smds don't illuminate at all.
I think it's an internal wiring issue,
So can the headlight be opened up if its heated up? There are a few about with badly damaged casings that are cheap, but if they work, maybe could swap over the internals?
The only other thing to note, is when this 1st happened, the lower part of the drl went orange, & I swapped the module in the middle of the light from left to right, & this made no difference, then a couple of days later the whole drl stopped working.
I swapped them back, but made no difference.
If the SMD’s on the DRL control module are not lighting up at all then you have an issue with the DRL module, the wiring to it or the main headlight control module that ultimately controls it.

when testing, and with the DRL module not seated in place, you should see the SMD’s light up.