A3 Convertible rear quarter window fault

mark holloway

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone else had a problem with the rear quarter windows not closing when putting the roof up/down? My near side one drops about 3 inches to close the roof then moves up about one inch then drops straight back down, doesn't do it all the time though, software issue? I thought it may be the anti-finger trap sensitivity faulty but seems to work fine just using the front door switch.

Hi Mark - in a word, “yes” !

First of all, I presume you’ve tried the “window reset” procedure?

Failing that, brace yourself for a long boring reply!

Mine seems slightly different to yours, but similar.

I picked up my brand new S3 cab 4 weeks ago on the 1st March. On the way home, playing with everything(as you do) I noticed that the driver side rear quarter window had a fault. Window went all the way down, then when button was pushed to put the window up, it went up about half way, then bounced back down.(as you say, like the anti trap had been activated)
Obviously once I noticed the fault I played with the window repeatedly. Sometimes it would go up, but most of the time it would do the bouncing back down thing.
I took it straight back to the dealers the next day, and they said they thought it would be one of a couple of things(think they were thinking motor or regulator). They booked it in for a day, and I left it with them- a bit miffed that my brand new car had left the factory like this!, but I suppose **** happens, and supposed it would be a quick fix. Although I must admit I wasn’t too happy about the thought of a 3 day old car being torn to bits in a workshop!
Anyway, got a call at the end of the day saying it wasn’t the motor or the regulator, and they didn’t know what was causing it. They wanted to keep it for another day. I agreed.
At the end of the following day I got a call saying they’d been onto Audi Tech, and they reckoned it needed a seal (!)(which unfortunately was on back order 7 to 10 days) they put it back together, and I took it away and waited for the part to arrive.
I got a call a few days ago and it was booked in to have the seal replaced yesterday. Got a call to say they needed to keep it another day. So they had it another 2 days and I picked it up this evening. They reckon the seal was pinching the window and putting too much pressure on it. They reckon it’s now cured. It didn't do it on the way home, but I’ll be having a good play with it over the next week or so to make sure that it has been fixed.
Interestingly one of the Audi guys down there had also just got a 19 plate a3 cab for his wife and it was doing another similar thing with the rear quarter window, but that one wasn’t the seal. It was something else and he didn’t know what it was. It was fixed and he wasn’t bothered and never asked what the issue was.
Annoyingly, my last car(another a3 cab 8p) had a similar issue with the driver side door window-not the quarter window-which was “fixed” under warranty but was never completely right afterwards. (That was a thermal regulator if I remember rightly)
I realise yours won’t be under warranty, and I guess finding out the cause will be expensive, as god knows what they charge to strip and find out what the issue is(and then the cost of the parts!)

There’s just so much to go wrong with these windows, and it’s more of a pain than in a “normal” car as the windows in a Cabriolet are integral to the correct working of the roof mechanism.

Good luck, and I hope it’s a simple fix.

Sorry for the long post.

TL-DR. I don’t think it will be a software issue, more likely a mechanical fault. (Badly aligned runners, duff motor, duff regulator..?)

Reactions: mark holloway and CHEZ
Quick update for mine.

Seal (Lower rear roof seal) didn't cure the window problem.
Neither did a new motor.
Neither did realigning the window and mechanism.

Its now booked in for a new regulator ......(which is what I suspected was the cause from day one - We will see......)

Reactions: mark holloway
Thanks for the info, waiting to hear what fix they come up with for you.

Reactions: loftylad
Quick update for mine.

Seal (Lower rear roof seal) didn't cure the window problem.
Neither did a new motor.
Neither did realigning the window and mechanism.

Its now booked in for a new regulator ......(which is what I suspected was the cause from day one - We will see......)
Hi there, any new news on your S3?
I've had the motor/regulator replaced still no joy with mine, am now thinking along the lines of replacing the roof control module.

Oh, that's not good news for you, I hope your next car proves to be better.

I've had the window motor/regulator replaced, now in the process of replacing the roof control module (located in the boot), will see if that fixes it.

Reactions: loftylad
Thanks Mark.

Please update here if (hopefully, WHEN) you find the fix. Will be interesting to see what your issue is.

Reactions: mark holloway
Hi, has anyone else had a problem with the rear quarter windows not closing when putting the roof up/down? My near side one drops about 3 inches to close the roof then moves up about one inch then drops straight back down, doesn't do it all the time though, software issue? I thought it may be the anti-finger trap sensitivity faulty but seems to work fine just using the front door switch.

I have just got a 7 year old 2017 FL Sline Cabrio and I am having similar issue. When I operate the roof, at the end of the procedure where all for windows close the rear windows can sometimes lower. I can one touch close them every time. Did you get to the bottom of your issue?