A3 AUM advice

jribeiro

Reaction score
hey all,
Just after some professional modder advice!
I've got my a3 1.8t with the aum engine. Things on my list which I've already purchased are the alloys (which need refurbing) and a fmic and the sai delete.
I would like to know in terms of braking what sort of systems do you guys use or recommend?
Also i know a good friend of mine whos for The same car running 400bhp + and I asked for his advice on what dv to get and he said to stick to the stock one. What do you guys think?
Thanks

Braking depends on the use the car gets. If you just use it on the road, then a simple and effective upgrade is to source the front Brembo's off a Leon Cupra R. If you're gonna take it out on track, there's more effective options out there.
Stock DV is fine for that sort of power, doesn't need changing, works perfectly. If it ain't broke...

How do I know if the dv is faulty? Also can you point me in the right direction in terms of where I can get the brakes from and what I need? If you could show me a link would be perfect!!
Thanks

The Brembo brakes require the calipers and carriers from a Leon Cupra R, and a set of braided lines from Badger5. Then some 323mm disks and some pads that fit them Brembos

The brake calipers themselves, search Ebay and the Facebook groups

Disks - your choice, im personally on standard 323 mm disks

Pads - Ferodo DS 3000
http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-...739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6/Categories/Shop/Braking

Braided lines
http://badger5.biz/epages/3927bc2c-...485-4739-96a5-d6cca869fcd6/Products/BraidBrem

Could I not upgrade to s3 brake system? And which one is better? S3 or Leon Cupra r?

LCR is better, I believe.

Have you got a boost gauge? that would tell you if your DV is working...

No I haven't! Another thing on my list! Where's the best place to get 1 from? And is there a how to on fitting one?

Depends heavily on the style youre after...
Installing = teeing off a vac line from your DV

I'll have to have a look but I've always liked the gauges on the pillars style but not sure

You will need a universal pillar pod and cut it to fit yourself, stack gauges are pretty good, as for the dv, remove the dv, push the piston up in the straight 25mm outlet with a screwdriver handle, block the small vac outlet with your finger, then release the piston, it should stay up until you remove you finger, if it drops before you remove your finger the diaphragm is split.

Cool I will try that. Can you show me where the dv is I just want to make sure it is what I think it is lol

Right just an update for you guys who helped me out. My dv is no good. So I've ordered an s3 dv for my a3. Also I've noticed the engine breather hoses next to the cover on the right hand side are split. Do you guy recommend replacing with a new genuine part or is there mod you guys recommend for future power?

Breather hoses don't affect power directly but most people either do a PCV delete and catch can setup or replace with silicon replacements

<tuffty/>