A3 8P (57) poor start in the morning.

Sharkie1976

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Almost every morning my car needs extended cranking to get it started. I don't apply the accelerator as it shouldn't need to be pressed, and it seems to have gotten worse with the colder mornings. I changed the battery for a new one yesterday as old one was showing weak on a load test. Again, this morning it didn't fire up immediately. Any common problems with the BWA engine. Had new plugs and air filter recently, and no engine light or stored codes on diagnostics.
Thanks for your time folks :)

Bump....fresh oil and new filter, and a new fuel filter have been fitted but still struggles most mornings. So that's all the service parts, plus more on top. Not sure where to go from here.

Get VCDS on it if you can to see if you have any faults showing, my missus has a similar problem on her 2.0TDI and has a crankshaft sensor fault which is causing hers to take a while to start

Reactions: Sharkie1976
Get VCDS on it if you can to see if you have any faults showing, my missus has a similar problem on her 2.0TDI and has a crankshaft sensor fault which is causing hers to take a while to start
-------
Will do mate. There is no fault codes, so we need to look into live data a bit more.
Cheers

On my 07 2.0L TDI 140 I had this issue it took my year before I finally stumbled across a thread which mentioned the starter motor, £117 later for a new one and it starts like it just rolled out of the factory!

On my 07 2.0L TDI 140 I had this issue it took my year before I finally stumbled across a thread which mentioned the starter motor, £117 later for a new one and it starts like it just rolled out of the factory!
------
Thanks mate. It's an A3 2.0tfsi BWA engine. There is a slight kind of grind/rasp noise (hard to explain) when turning the engine over. This starting issue isn't always present, mainly first thing in the morning or if the car has sat for a long period of time. Cheers for your input.

Might be better to look at the starter motor then as a faulty crank sensor VCDS would show a fault. There is no mechanical roughness when starting the missus car it can just take a while to start

Yes, I think that could be the problem. Going to check the connections to the starter when I next get a chance to look. Started perfect this morning, lol. Thanks for your help buddy