A3 2004 - BKD Clutch pedal problems, please help!

connersz

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem with the clutch/clutch pedal on my A3. I have had it in the garage twice now but each time it has stopped doing it and they have been unable to find the issue.

The Problems
  • Coming to a stop and leaving it in 1st gear. I hear the revs increase slightly like the clutch is biting. If I try to get into neutral I am unable to without lifting off the clutch and slamming the pedal down a few times to release it.
  • Pulling to a stop in order to reverse. I am unable to get the car into reverse. There is something blocking it from going into gear. I can stop the issue usually by restarting the car.
  • Clutch pedal goes soft/spongy from about half way down.
  • The clutch feels like there is a slight 'nik' on the way up, like it is catching on something. This only happens when the point above is in effect.
What I have tried
  • I have taken the car to the garage twice but the problem is so intermittent that it stops doing it. It is so intermittent that it recently stopped for about three weeks and then came back.
  • I have looked at forums online including this one and found other people with the same problem but they had not come back to state how it was resolved.
I am starting to get really irritated with this issue because the car is fine otherwise. I just want to get the problem fixed but I am running out of options and have been waiting for months for "something to just break" but it probably won't be that obvious for a while.

I could really use some help on this. The one thing the garage has said is that they're pretty sure nothing is wrong with the clutch so I would be interested to hear what other things may be causing this.