A1 Passenger Airbag Missing!

Stuart Emery

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum and after a bit of advice if poss.

Last Thursday my daughter brought an A1 1.2 TFSI 64 plate 30,000 miles, which is a CAT N, private sale.
I went with her to look at the car and it's in great condition overall and is lovely to drive, so much so that I had no clue why it had been classed a CAT N! The only issue I could find with the car was that the heater control temperature dial didn't rotate fully and was stuck on the 'HOT' side, so we wasn't sure if the aircon worked or not. But overall the car was very nice for the price.

I did the relevant HPI checks and all checked out fine. On Saturday morning, we MOT'd it and it passed with no advisories.

So, on Saturday afternoon, I decided to have a look at the heater control to see if it was something obvious. After removing the glovebox, I could get to the back of the control panel and it was simply a case that the cable on the back of the temperature control was not fitted properly. Disconnected and re-fitted and now the dial works as it should including ice cold AC!

However.... When I removed the glovebox, I noticed that there was a wire dangling down with a yellow plug. And no passenger airbag!

My question is, as the plug is just dangling, should I see an airbag fault somewhere?? There are no lights or messages showing at all.

Obviously now I've found this, I want to put an airbag back where it should be, but I'm wondering if there are other things I should be looking at now as well? other airbags, missing warning lamps... etc.

I do have VCDS, which I bought to sort an issue with my wifes VW EOS , so I think I'll get it connected and see what that tells me.

In the meantime, anyone any thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance.....

Last edited: