A Question Of No Claims Bonus(ncb)

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Right, I guess this is always a subject of grey area, as most insurers have different levels of discount for NCB, but I guess this question is mainly aimed at our current insurance site sponsors for clarification.

To cut a long story short, my insurance renewal came in with 9 years NCB showing on the renewal form, but the year before, I had 15 years NCB, so I just put it down to a clerical error, it should be 16 years NCB!(actually, this figure should be 18 years, but I will explain that later in the thread)

Now I'm not going to name the insurance company, as I'm not here to point the finger at anyone specifically, so let's not go there.

Now my understanding of insurance NCB is 5 years maximum, and any figure above this is just a figure. Sure it sounds great when you are asking for a quote, and mention your 10 years plus NCB. But when you make a claim, you lose 2 years NCB, that does not mean your 16 years NCB becomes 14 years the following year, it drops down to 3 years NCB(unless you have paid extra for NCB protection), so this is how I have figured that 5 years NCB is the maximum.

So back to my small issue. On renewing my premium, I thought it would be a straight forward process, call up and pay, but mention the NCB issue, and they will correct it in 5 secs on the computer, I have it in black and white in front of me, they should have the info too, since they sent it me 12 months earlier. But instead, I was on hold on and off for the best part of 20 minutes! The poor bloke on the other end had told me he was new to the job, so was apologetic, but this scenario you don't really get trained for, got to feel sorry for him, but he gained some experience, so all is good. And after speaking with his manager, he told me that his computer screen would only go upto 9 years NCB, and that he had no way of increasing this number, he's tried, it was the MAXIMUM allowed, but he said he has a supporting letter to say I have 16 years NCB, so don't worry about it. I actually was not worried about it at all, but I wanted this 16 years figure on the form, because that's what it should be....

Now winding back to when I first starting buying insurance, I was pretty sure I should have more than 16 years, and I've not made a claim in between, but once my figure went over 5 years, I never really took notice of the NCB figure too much. What has happened is, when I changed insurance company at the end of the year, I had requested my NCB from my then current insurers before the insurance has lapsed, so I did no gain that years NCB into the equation, it was not completed yet! I only lost the NCB since it's all gone digital, as they email you the NCB confirmation. Before, insurance companies would accept your insurance renewal letter as proof of NCB, they they would request the info separately. Still not a big issue really, as I see 5 years and 16 years as the same.

Sorry to rant on, just thought I'd share my thoughts and process.

But if any of the insurance would like to pass on some detailed info for us mortals, I would be most grateful! :)