A hello and a question

Jemster

Reaction score
Just saying hello as a new owner of a 2015 A4 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition Plus. Only my second Audi ever, had an A3 Quattro about 15 years back but eloped to the BMW camp for many years, last car being a 2005 M3. I was looking at the 428 Gran Coupé until I took out an A5 Sportback and eventually settled on the A4 with lots of toys :)

Still finding my way around it and have managed to get Audi Connect set up on the MMI 3G+ with a cheap 3 data sim. I’ve a couple of questions though and wonder if anyone can help out?

Firstly, the B&O... although it’s good, it does seem to lack in bass. I’ve the bass setting almost to max and, although that’s just about enough, I can’t help feeling it’s lacking from the rear. The sub appears to be moving when I put a finger through the grill in the boot, but is there any hidden settings or amp tweaks to fix this?

Secondly, my headlight washer cover on the drivers side doesn’t seem to pop back correctly. I can manipulate it easily enough with my fingers and pop it back in, but every time I use it, it sits out afterwards. Easy fix? If not, Would it be a manufacturer warranty fix perhaps?

Oh and lastly, I don’t appear to have a tyre pressures sticker on the drivers door or B-pillar. There’s no sign of the car having had a knock so I doubt anything suspicious, just seems a bit weird and leaves me wondering what the tyre pressure should be for the 255/35 19’s?

Thanks for any help, looking forward to learning more about the new toy :)

Hello and welcome!

I don't have B&O in my car and I'll leave the pressures that Audi suggest for that car for others to quote/post a picture off so as not to confuse the issue.

Hi rum4m, thanks for the welcome. Is it always so quiet around here? Guess I’m probably just used to M3 Cutters where everybody has an opinion on everything, knowledgeable or otherwise hahaha! :)

Hi Jemster, glad ur enjoying your return to the fold with your A4 ! Think you’ll find that, pleasantly, most responses are less populated with uninformed opinions than many forums....... ;)

On the B&O, is it with all sources that are lacking in bass ? In the settings I run mine at around +2 / +3 clicks on the bass which provides a natural rounded level, anymore and it starts to get over blown and muddy. Admittedly when your on the move on a noisy road surface, the bass does get slightly lost within the general road noise.
I’d just check the settings in the b&o dsp menu are set to either ‘front’ or ‘all’ - think, iirc, when set to ‘rear’ , the results were uninspiring.
If the washer jet isn’t retracting and there’s still a warranty in place i’d Be asking audi to look at it for you, at least the issue is logged with them for a future in case of a full failure.

Look for your tyre pressure stick on the drivers door just below the door catch. It's not the easiest of things to see to be fair.

Thanks for the replies. Gary, it is with all sources. I listen to a huge range in music and even the more dance oriented stuff like Faithless only produces an acceptable level of bass with it cranked past 5 o’clock. I’ve tried changing the focus and, like you, found the rear focus the worst. Currently set to all with the dsp surround set at about 3 o’clock.

(Oh, BT streaming is notably worse too... but I guess that’s just the BT connection as DAB, jukebox and SD card are all the same)

The jet itself does retract (I think) all that’s left sticking out is the spring loaded door that isn’t popping in correctly. I’ll take another look today if the weather holds out.

I’ll also have another look for that pressure sticker, fairly sure I haven’t overlooked it. I set them all to 2.5 bar yesterday, seems to feel happier on the road than the 2.7 that the fronts were at.

Welcome @Jemster ! The B8 forum I've noticed recently tends to be quieter on the weekends. Maybe lots of people are out doing the Dad taxi thing! :) Or maybe they are all Black Friday weekend shopping. As @gary_a4_quattro says the tyre sticker should be on the drivers door. You do have to crouch to see it.

IMG 20171126 111905988

Hi Scotty, just double-checked and that’s a negative. I got no sticker nor any sign of there having been one. Anyone got the values for a 2.0 tdi quattro with the 19” wheels?

Reactions: scotty76
Did you buy from a dealer? Maybe ask if they can order a sticker? I'd also think your headlight washer issue should be fixed under warranty. I'd certainly be asking.

Came from a NetworkQ dealer. Seems to be missing a trick, but Audi used cars didn’t seem to have anything that was any more than 18 months old. They seem to pass these cars off into other dealer networks. Either that or they’re trying to offload anything that might be affected by the emissions issue! It’s got a year warranty with NetworkQ and is still within the 3 year manufacturer warranty for another 6 months.

I’ve been to the local Audi dealer already as a window trim wasn’t sitting correctly. They couldn’t have been more helpful and fixed it for free while I waited. I just don’t want to make a nuisance of myself before I’ve actually bought anything off them :)

I’ve just had another poke around the headlamp washer cover... it would seem the hinge is broken / dislocated on the outer side allowing it to move up and down.

Is there an online resource somewhere with exploded diagrams / parts lists? I can’t quite tell with my fingers what the internal arrangement should be.

Hi @Jemster,

Im a newbie myself. The only other Audi iv ever owned was an Audi S3 back in 2010. After that have had two E46 M3's, a coupe and the convertible.

Yeah the m3cutters guys can be help and not helpful. lol.

The guys on here are amazing in terms of helping and have awesome projects going on. Cant rate @Tashfeen , @Carlos85 ,@xpoweruk ,@rizzini7 @rum4mo ,@scotty76 ,@Roadrunner146 . probably loads iv missed.

Wish i could help with you other questions.

Reactions: V6_Man
Hi @yusuf7869,

I'm still 50/50 on whether m3cutters was a good resource or what caused me to sell up... I seemed to spend more time worrying about something expensive going wrong (that never did) than enjoying the car. But on the other hand, in among all the scare stories, it was a great resource for technical answers. Certainly you wouldn't be stuck getting some tyre pressures, but then everybody would have their own opinion on what they should be and which ones cause certain subframe failure :laughing::laughing:

At the moment I'm feeling a bit out-of-my-depth on this one. For example, if I needed a part or wanted to see how things went together on the BMW, I'd have gone to realoem.com for the parts diagrams. Does anybody know an Audi equivalent? (Preferably Euro market, I found one US site but no idea how their model editions align with ours). Or if I wanted to find out how to remove the headlight washer jet cover, I'd have located a YouTube or website in a few minutes.... seems a lot harder to find anything for this car.

Also, if I wanted diagnostics, grab a £5 cable and download INPA and away I go. Here it seems like I have to pay Ross-Tech a large amount of money for something I'll hardly ever use just to be able, for instance, to trigger a DPF regen. I just bought a Carista dongle / 1 month trial off Amazon for £15 so we'll see how that goes for the basics, not sure if it can trigger a regen.

Hi @yusuf7869,

I'm still 50/50 on whether m3cutters was a good resource or what caused me to sell up... I seemed to spend more time worrying about something expensive going wrong (that never did) than enjoying the car. But on the other hand, in among all the scare stories, it was a great resource for technical answers. Certainly you wouldn't be stuck getting some tyre pressures, but then everybody would have their own opinion on what they should be and which ones cause certain subframe failure :laughing::laughing:

At the moment I'm feeling a bit out-of-my-depth on this one. For example, if I needed a part or wanted to see how things went together on the BMW, I'd have gone to realoem.com for the parts diagrams. Does anybody know an Audi equivalent? (Preferably Euro market, I found one US site but no idea how their model editions align with ours). Or if I wanted to find out how to remove the headlight washer jet cover, I'd have located a YouTube or website in a few minutes.... seems a lot harder to find anything for this car.

Also, if I wanted diagnostics, grab a £5 cable and download INPA and away I go. Here it seems like I have to pay Ross-Tech a large amount of money for something I'll hardly ever use just to be able, for instance, to trigger a DPF regen. I just bought a Carista dongle / 1 month trial off Amazon for £15 so we'll see how that goes for the basics, not sure if it can trigger a regen.

For parts, use the below link. It also shows you parts diagram and whether or not a part has been discontinued and the latest revision(s).

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/

Also, your service book should have a sticker, which lists PR codes. If you use the below website you should be able to what each of these codes refer to. Hope it helps. The same PR sticker can also be found in the boot next to the spare wheel.

http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Jemster
For parts, use the below link.

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

Also, your service book should have a sticker, which lists PR codes. If you use the below website you should be able to what each of these codes refer to. Hope it helps. The same PR sticker can also be found in the boot next to the spare wheel.

http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

Yeah those codes are handy, I used them to work out what options were on the '13 A5 I had my eye on (in the front of the service book, couldn't find one in the boot). Haven't noticed one in the boot of mine yet, don't think the spare had ever been taken out. I rectified that at the weekend checking the lock nut was present and all the tools.

Unfortunately Service Books are now a thing of the past (or so I'm told). I haven't got one with mine (April '15) although I have the receipt for its one Audi Service, which I verified online, and the receipt for the service at NetworkQ, so there's no question of history being up-to-date.

I got the full spec. through the Audi website online chat - very useful, took the reg. of the car and came back with the entire options list.

Reactions: V6_Man
It’s really bizarre. I have seen A5 guys complaining about data sticker but not A4. My service log is online as well and the service book that I got with my S4 has the PR sticker in it as well as in the boot and looks like this:

e609ad1ecf725aafb217fe98523e55d3.jpg

If you have got the code list or PR list below is another site which tells you all the codes and what they mean:

http://vag-codes.info/files/options/vag-option-codes.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have a look for the boot sticker at lunchtime. Doubt it'll tell me much I don't already know. Spec's pretty decent being a Black Edition Plus, it's got the Tech package, MMI+, high phone prep and strangely enough, seat heaters. I'd always spec. seat heaters on leather seats, but on half-leather it's a bit of a waste in my opinion. But it's another button to press and more lights :)

Looking at this washer cover, it looks like the hinge bracket (that I suspect is broken) is part 7 on this diagram:

https://audi.7zap.com/en/vin/audi+a4+avant/a4/2015-736/8/807-807030/#7

And depressingly labelled 'not exchangeable'. I see a couple of used complete assemblies with the cover, hinge and bracket on eBay so it may be time for a little DIY already :smirk:

Let me just take back everything I said about the b&o.

Yesterday morning I decided to stick on some Faithless (Tarantula, 320kbps mp3) and I cranked it up a bit (only to 18). Well, what can I say. Blown away. The sound just came alive. Well balanced, controlled, plenty of bass, smooth mid ranges zero distortion and sparkling highs. So I’ve learned, if in doubt, crank it!
:rockwoot:

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro and V6_Man
I would be going straight to Audi for any warranty issues - they come with 3, 4 and 5 year warranties. May be worth checking to see which one you have - but you have at least a few months remaining before the NetworkQ kicks in.

Get it scanned with VCDS and see if there are any issues and get those fixed under Audi.

I had a similar issue with my washer jets - Audi replaced the jet which fixed the issue. Mine would stick out every now and then.

Reactions: Jemster
Going to pop over to see Audi at lunch time and have a word about the washer jet cover. Note, it's not the washer jet itself, that's fine. It's just the covering which is a spring-loaded flap. The hinge isn't working properly and allowing it to twist a little and not close. From the diagrams it looks like there's a surround mounted to the inside of the bumper that the hinge fits into, and I suspect that's where the break is. I guess it depends how the break happened as to whether the warranty would cover it, and as I don't explicitly know the history of the car, I can't prove one way or another that it's a manufacturing fault as opposed to somebody knocking it.

I just got my Carista dongle yesterday, haven't activated the free month yet but ran a quick scan and it picked up a couple of things (I'll register at the weekend to find out precisely what they are, shame they have this cr*p subscription model these days. I want to just buy it at the level it currently is, i.e. not pay for ongoing updates and 'improvements' that I'll most likely never need).

Firstly a front passenger door error, next an ABS error and finally a CAN network gateway error. I'll get them read and saved somewhere and if they are a while ago I'll reset them and see what comes back.

Going to pop over to see Audi at lunch time and have a word about the washer jet cover. Note, it's not the washer jet itself, that's fine.

Hahaha spoke too soon. Went to Audi Belfast, the guy came out to take a look and the drivers side had, as expected, not closed over properly... but the passenger side had the washer sitting out! First time I've seen that happen...

So they'll take it in next week under warranty to fix it up for me. Turns out the ABS issue came up when they read the key as well - which it didn't a week or so ago when I got them to fix up the rear window trim strip. So that's new. They'll investigate that as well.

I do hope these are just teething issues.

Reactions: scotty76
“ So I’ve learned, if in doubt, crank it! “

Ain’t that a mantra for life !?! Glad you found the sweet spot with you B & O , some tracks just come alive, remember hearing the classic Georgio Moroder / Donna Summer ‘I feel love’ on my cars’ B & O..... if ever there was a track to demo it’s potential, that was it

Good to get all those little bugs ironed out on the car whilst the warranty is still current