8V Dash Cam Hidden Install Project

Thanks guys

@DJAlix that looks very interesting! I think I need to do some research, not sure why it is plugged into the OBD it seems? Don't like the idea of that, but otherwise it seems really good

Reactions: DJAlix
Thanks guys

@DJAlix that looks very interesting! I think I need to do some research, not sure why it is plugged into the OBD it seems? Don't like the idea of that, but otherwise it seems really good
Switched power could be sourced from the port. I would take power from a switched fuse myself.

Switched power could be sourced from the port. I would take power from a switched fuse myself.
Yeah that's what I'd do if that's all they're using the OBD for... Wasn't sure if there was some more fancy underlying feature they're using it for, but doubt it

Here's the DVR placement, wires need tidying up a little and I've not chosen a power box to manage the battery levels when the ignition is off yet.

I'll look into this and while I'm here, what are the settings you used to record while the car is parked? Occasionally I forget to unplug the power and leave it recording all night with no problem, but this isn't optimal.

I'll look into the magnet thing cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 232
Here's the DVR placement, wires need tidying up a little and I've not chosen a power box to manage the battery levels when the ignition is off yet.

I'll look into this and while I'm here, what are the settings you used to record while the car is parked? Occasionally I forget to unplug the power and leave it recording all night with no problem, but this isn't optimal.

I'll look into the magnet thing cheers
Thats kinda how I imagined it might look with all those cables. Am still trying to think of a more elegant solution. Power wise I use one of these from the perma live MMI fuse position, for the moment anyway:

IMG 2069

The cut off voltage is 11.2v which = approx 3 days, but in order to run with this 24/7 I needed to change the battery as the supplied one would get very hot and eventually swelled up. These GoPro ones have a built in charge management / protection circuit:

IMG 2070

My plan, now that I have caught that Muppet, is to rewire to a switched live so that the cameras are only recording while driving. This unit is not a good "parking" camera as it's not set and forget for that mode. To make it set and forget and to avoid engine crank power issues we would need to run the unit with no internal battery and add something like a Cellink B in to the mix. The camera does have a parking mode but its battery operation only and records for 3 hours max.

Did you make the link from the DVR to the MMI screen?
I'm unsure if a powered AV converter is required, as well as removing the VIM protection

Did you make the link from the DVR to the MMI screen?
I'm unsure if a powered AV converter is required, as well as removing the VIM protection
Yup :) I used an Audi RCA to AMI Cable. VIM activation is only needed if you want to view whilst in motion.

Yup :) I used an Audi RCA to AMI Cable. VIM activation is only needed if you want to view whilst in motion.
I've got the RCA cable, and HDMI out... just the VIM to kill off then!