8P front coil spring replace-experienced advice needed

Gordon

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the driver's side front strut can be removed without having to disconnect the drive shaft at the wheel hub as shown in Elsawin? I have done this job on an 8L A3 by disconnecting the drive shaft at the differential end. The method shown in Elsawin is not D.I.Y. friendly. When removing the hub from the strut the drive shaft has to be disconnected at one end to avoid drive shaft bending. The anti-roll bar gets in the way restricting the space available to lower the hub and wishbone.

No it doesn't, Get a strut spreader tool and use it to open the hub up and the hub should slide straight off the strut. May need to stand on the top of the hub to get a bit extra room but you won't bend the drive shaft

When I've changed a front springs I took the driveshaft out of the hub, otherwise the hub wouldn't go down far enough to drop out of the strut, maybe it's only really necessary for the passenger side, not sure, but it doesn't take long to remove [as in just undo the large driveshaft hubnut and push it out of the hub and let it sit on the subframe.

It's easy to remove the strut using a hub spreader as already said.
I would put the front on axle stands remove both wheels and disconnect both sides of the anti roll bar.
From there you can remove either or both sides with ease. It only leaves the 3x13mm top mount nuts and the 18mm strut bolt to undo.