66mpg and better - 35tfsi manual

eribaMotters

Reaction score
Bit sad this one, but decided to see how economical the car really is as traffic was fairly heavy on a reent long trip. I had a near 300 mile journey from Merseyside to south Devon last week so kept it at between 55 and 60. Pulling off the A38 it was averaging an indicated 66mpg. I didn't trist this so brimmed the tank as I had when filling up and it worked out at just over 64mpg.
I thought this a bit of a fluck, so when traffic similar on the way back today tried the same. Just before pulling off the M6 it was showing 71mpg. It had climbed to near 72mpg.
I think that's about 800 miles on a tank, so why buy a diesel?
Can anyone beat this?
66mpg to Devon March 2020 1600
71mpg return from Devon march 2020 1600

Colin

I used to own a 1. 4 tfsi saloon and got 66 consistently on long runs of 200 miles +. The best I had on a trip was 68.9 mpg. Amazed me how economical the engine was.

Never get anywhere near that in mine. Over 30k miles I am getting an average of 43. Which to be fair is not bad for mixed driving and heavy car with a weedy petrol engine. It’s all about the average for me and not single journeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never get anywhere near that in mine. Over 30k miles I am getting an average of 43. Which to be fair is not bad for mixed driving and heavy car with a weedy petrol engine. It’s all about the average for me and not single journeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2nd/ 100 hour trip it has shown 48mpg before resetting itself when I have not been towing the caravan. The car does not have many short journeys as I tend to walk anything up to a mile or so and cycle if a little further. The overall average appears no different from my previous car, a diesel Yeti.

Colin

so why buy a diesel?

Buy a diesel because you can go faster than 55mph, on more than 2 cylinders and return more to the gallon. Also where I live it is 20p per litre cheaper. Over and out!! :icon thumright:

Last edited:
Bit sad this one, but decided to see how economical the car really is as traffic was fairly heavy on a reent long trip. I had a near 300 mile journey from Merseyside to south Devon last week so kept it at between 55 and 60. Pulling off the A38 it was averaging an indicated 66mpg. I didn't trist this so brimmed the tank as I had when filling up and it worked out at just over 64mpg.
I thought this a bit of a fluck, so when traffic similar on the way back today tried the same. Just before pulling off the M6 it was showing 71mpg. It had climbed to near 72mpg.
I think that's about 800 miles on a tank, so why buy a diesel?
Can anyone beat this?View attachment 198996 View attachment 198997

Colin
Not mpg but I'd beat you in a race. That's why I bought an RS3.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk