5mm make a difference?

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Think I already know the answer but just checking.

20" V spoke Alloys. Usually take 265/30/20 tyres. The end game is to buy a set of winter wheels next year but I'm shelling out a LOT of dosh this week and require a short term solution for winter. There's barely any choice out there for winters in this size.

But I'm seeing quite a few with 265/'35'/20. Would that extra 5mm be an issue? I doubt it right? Seems to be enough gap left. Just wonder if it would rub or catch further inside.

Ta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

265/30/20 is a tyre depth of 79.5mm

265/35/20 is a tyre depth of 92.75mm

So 13.25mm difference. This will probably throw your speedo out more than the legal allowance.

This is assuming i’ve worked it all out correct with the 35 meaning 35 % of the width 265mm.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
265/30/20 is a tyre depth of 79.5mm

265/35/20 is a tyre depth of 92.75mm

So 13.25mm difference. This will probably throw your speedo out more than the legal allowance.

This is assuming i’ve worked it all out correct with the 35 meaning 35 % of the width 265mm.

And that's why I love this forum Idiot + smart guy = right answer. Haha. Cheers bud. That is quite a difference actually.

Reactions: NevMan
Yeah, you're spot on. It would throw your speedo out by 3.82%, meaning at 60mph it would only be reading 57.71mph, so could cause you a headache for speeding tickets... Use www.willtheyfit.com to see the differences. :)

Reactions: NevMan and Thundercliffe81
Yeah, you're spot on. It would throw your speedo out by 3.82%, meaning at 60mph it would only be reading 57.71mph, so could cause you a headache for speeding tickets... Use www.willtheyfit.com to see the differences. :)
jeez, some serious maths boffins on here :salute:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
994E029A 20F7 4756 9FA7 4A8A77E1143B

Worth a go?
There’s a used set on eBay with good tread but they are 6 years old for 630 Michelin’s
I’d buy the toyo

Am sure Audi would fit them for you for collection too if your fast?

View attachment 164662
Worth a go?
There’s a used set on eBay with good tread but they are 6 years old for 630 Michelin’s
I’d buy the toyo

Nice one.

I'm watching them Michelins on eBay but yeah, the age. I know it's just rubber. But still.

I seen these Toyos. What ya reckon? You've actually found them £20 cheaper. The logo looks similar to another brand (you know how they have sub brands etc) but can't place it. Think I might give these a shout in November. I proff'd last year though when we got that early winter storm. Bought my Nokians a week before in October. Might just get them now whilst they're cheap. Cheers for that

That’s it when the bad weather comes the price will go up.
Toyo are great tyres Audi used them as standard fit on many vehicles
The famous ones were toyo r888 track tyres or on the road toyo t-1s or t1-r
You won’t go wrong with them.

The Michelin’s at 6 years old the rubber will be getting hard and less pliable and that’s the main things you don’t want on winters. I’d avoid them

Reactions: Daggerit and Thundercliffe81
Am sure Audi would fit them for you for collection too if your fast?

4-5 day turnaround wouldn't get there in time. But tyres on the drive always have a very decent tyre change discount code online.

Related to this, I'll be selling 4 x Nokian WRA4 winter tyres.

245/35/19 as below. Just a quick intro. Bags of tread left on all 4 but I'll be measuring everything this weekend when I have a clear out so I'll know exact tread depth left. Tyres in mint condition. And genuinely a fantastic performer in the snow/ice. They laughed at beast from the East.

*update: No less than 6mm tread

If anybody is interested, PM me and I'll get all the details and photos to you.

97feca02998a829805b56cc12cd132ed.jpg

697f23ed22e9c19447aed1bfb2f567c5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
If I didn't have a set of 18" winter wheels and tyres I'd take them off your hands for sure!

4-5 day turnaround wouldn't get there in time. But tyres on the drive always have a very decent tyre change discount code online.

Related to this, I'll be selling 4 x Nokian WRA4 winter tyres.

245/35/19 as below. Just a quick intro. Bags of tread left on all 4 but I'll be measuring everything this weekend when I have a clear out so I'll know exact tread depth left. Tyres in mint condition. And genuinely a fantastic performer in the snow/ice. They laughed at beast from the East.

*update: No less than 6mm tread

If anybody is interested, PM me and I'll get all the details and photos to you.

97feca02998a829805b56cc12cd132ed.jpg

697f23ed22e9c19447aed1bfb2f567c5.jpg

Glad you have found the car you were looking for, fantastic spec also. Looking forward to pictures.
Interested in the winters what sort of price are you looking for?