55mph speed limit - sign not recognised

dts439

Reaction score
Has anyone else travelled through the new "55mph" speed limit section on the M3. This had been 50 for the last 2 years but as its nearly finished they have chosen to 'slightly' increase the limit. Normally the car is pretty good and detecting any standard speed limit sign on a gantry or on the side of the road but it failed to pick it up despsite a number of repeaters,

I'm guessing the recognition system is only setup to see 20/30/40/50/60/70 road signs as my car steadfastly refused to show it on the display. Or they only have the graphics for the above numbers in the MMI.

I've never see speed limits that did not end in zero before!

Very soon it should be open and back to normal, but may be will see this sort of limit in future roadworks. Or its some sort of experiment.

Apparently it was a mistake. I read elsewhere that the speed limit in roadworks is calculated because of a number of factors, and because the works were almost done, and there were no workers there, the calculation spat out 55mph. It was changed back to 50 a few days later. I also read someone who knows the road related regulations state that the regs don't allow for speed limits that don't end in 10.

Mine read 100 the other day when I passed a coach in a 40 zone because of the sticker on the back, so detection is quite good and I know it reads that high, wondered if I'd get away with it if the police caught me doing the suggested 100 :D

Reactions: desertstorm