Joined finally... Hello Everyone!

fis

Reaction score
Been checking the forum for some time now and I find the community here quite friendly and helpful!
So, Hello and hope everyone is doing great!
I'm quite a B5 fan and willing to learn how everything works, as well as share my own experiences while doing so.

I own a B5 TDi AFN 110hp (in a chassis of a 2.4 petrol, preFace... I bought it swapped) as my daily driver.
It appears to be in all stock parts, and they did a pretty good job in swapping it.

It runs 'good' and is in a solid shape, however, it kinda feels that it doesn't match the AFN stock power!
The thing is that .. occasionally .. it does run "perfectly", has a very smooth engine sound and it just revs and pulls flawlessly.. it just makes your day
but most of the time, it has this kind of hesitation and 'feels' like something is slightly out of adjustment!

So I set the goal to study it and if lucky, bring it to a stock condition at first.
Then maybe, boost it just a bit ... for a bigger smile

Welcome! The B5 is becoming a rare beast now. What's the mileage?

Reactions: Sandra
Welcome. Any pics of the car?

Welcome! The B5 is becoming a rare beast now. What's the mileage?
~270k km ( ~170k miles ) on the clock... though there's room for doubt when there is a swap.. : ), there are no strict regulations here !!!
The engine feels solid though.

Reactions: daytonamart
Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

I started doing some minor changes on my free time.

I put a pair of b6 r16s in it since I love the look of them on a b5.
Would be great if they were a bit wider (because of the gap).. but anyway, I put them on winter tires and they're ok.

I decided I go bigger for summer tires and I really love the BBS Speedline-s on b5 (I'm old fashioned).
Found a pair of r18s.. but I'm not experienced in this and wasn't sure if I should put r18s on the stock AFN or not..
It's a daily driver and the road here is not to be praised! So I'd really appreciate any suggestions on this !!!

I went a bit safer for now and picked up a pair of r17 Aluett Rondell and they look great in it.. (will post the pics in the meantime)
and are wide enough to fill the void : )

Now, there could be many things wrong with the car, and probably needs
a lot (maybe just bits in a lot of areas) of work to bring it to the stock condition at first.

So I've been having various questions in mind already, but wasn't sure if I should post them here or in individual threads..?

Last edited:
I would stick with 17’s if ride quality is your priority. 18’s ride ok too, but not as good as the smaller wheel with more tyre. I also personally think the smaller wheel looks better when the car isn’t lowered anyway.

With regards to your questions, try searching the forum first as there’s a good chance it may have been asked before. But failing that I’d probably start a new thread.

Reactions: fis
Thanks mate!
It doesn't beat the looks of 18s tho ... but yes, potholes all around! I might stick to 17s.

Regarding lowering.. In the back I installed new shocks, springs, brake rotors, calipers, bearings. I'm quite happy with it!
.. but for some reason the car sits higher in front. I thought it was some kind of incorrect spring installed by previous owner!!
I got a pair of new springs (stock specs) but no difference.. still high in front. And I like the gap as it is on the back: same all around.

Any ideas what would it take to do the same in the front wheels, as I have no idea how to approach this issue?!

You can see it here ...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…