Problem storing names in phone prep

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Can someone else with the GSM phone prep & MFSW try this as it's doing my head in?

1. Press the talk button on the steering wheel
2. Say "STORE NAME"
3. Say the name when prompted
4. Say it again when prompted
5. Say the number when prompted
6. Say "STORE"

When I get to step 6 and say "STORE", the voice recognition reads it back to me as "star four" rather than storing the name and number. If I leave it and say nothing it reads out the available commands and sure enough "STORE" is one of them but it just won't recognise it no matter how clearly I say it.

Anyone else have the same problem?

I think the phone prep is a total crock of poo, the bluetooth loses its connection on such a regular basis I now don't bother using it, reported it to Audi and their response was if I use a cradle bypassing bluetooth there will be no issue - only problem is they don't do a cradle for any new phones, wished I nver had it now and would just get another blue parrot Grrrrrr

From what I can gather over on TSN, this specific issue with recognising the "STORE" command at the end of the number entry is a known issue. Pretty crap really but doesn't affect me personally as I just attach tags to my phonebook. It's affecting a friend whose phone won't sync the phonebook though as this is the only way they have to add voice tags.

Regards the kit generally, sorry Spin but it's superb - works flawlessly for me, call quality is excellent and the integration is excellent, especially with the RNS-E and MFSW. The problem is that some phones just don't work properly with it, either working but not syncing their phonebooks, as with my friend, or else having general bluetooth connectivity problems. This is as much the fault of the phone manufacturers as it is Audi so it's unfair to level all criticism at them.

I paid for the phone prep and cradle out of my own pocket, the thick end of 500 quid, and I don't regret a penny of it. I actually make most of my calls in the car now as it makes good use of otherwise dead time whilst travelling.

I've never had phone prep before - after having the one in the S3 it will be first on my option list from now on - mine has been flawless, 4 phones syncd with no trouble, address book updates quick and painless.

I'll try the store thing and see what mine does.

My phones a Nokia 6300 so would be surprised if its the phone but must admit to not fully reading the instruction booklet for the phone prep, the sales Guy talked me through it and set up the phone so it's 'paired' with the car & all of my numbers are displayed so no problem there its just the intermittent disconnecting that drives me nuts, when I asked Audi service to take a look they said it is a common fault and quote "..They all do it.."

I'm going to have to investigate further as no point having the capability and driving around looking like Britney Spears with a naff headset

TO say they all do it is untrue - mine hasnt lost connection once.. Only time I have a problem is if I am in a bad signal area and thats it. Never failed once.

The only problem I've ever had is that on rare occasions the phone will connect and disconnect from the bluetooth despite being in the cradle. Turning the phone off and on again fixes it so it's obviously the phone gone mad.

Spin, I'd check if there's an updated firmware for your phone, might help as they quite often improve the bluetooth connectivity. Despite being a standard, bluetooth is notorious for connectivity issues, I once had problems connection a Sony Ericsson headset to an SE phone, despite the headset working fine with a Nokia - go figure.

I'm actually liking the cradle a lot too. Keeps the phone out of the way and charges it up on the move. I've never had to charge my phone once since I got the car seven months ago as it's always on charge in the car regularly (don't use the cradle for short trips, just leave it in my pocket). The sharkfin aerial also works very well - I'll often only get 2 or 3 out of 5 bars on the signal strength when using bluetooth but in the cradle I always get 4 or 5. Have also noticed that, if you leave the phone in the car with the ignition off for a while, the car will turn the phone off and then turn it back on again when you turn the ignition back on - very clever.

FWIW, this is the list of Nokias which are known to work fully and properly with the prep:

6021,6111,6230,6230i,6233,6234,6280,6310i,6800,6822,8800,8801

Vertigo1,

This drove me nuts at the beginning too.

At step 6 say "STORE NAME" and it'll complete the operation.

HTH

I'll give it a try

EDIT: Woohoo - it works. Thanks very much for that.