Petrol Smell

Chrismawa

Reaction score
Currently got a petrol Smell around the car when it's off and sitting on my drive. I can't see any leaks in the engine or under where the tank is.

I'm thinking clogged fuel filter ? I was wanting to change this anyway as it's a bit dubious in the service history. Any one any ideas?

Thanks.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Did you check the fuel lines where they attach to the rail, in my case the fastener was a bit loose!

Enviado do meu SM-G781B através do Tapatalk

Last edited:
You see the metal fuel lines that connects the hpfp to the fuel rail, from the top of the intake manifold, without the engine cover of course, using a torch. Thankfully, in my case was the low pressure fuel line, or else, it could have happen the worse! Don't drive too much your car if it smells fuel...

There plastic if ones I think u on about had it twice on a car I had b4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I found the cause of the smell.....

It's coming from the new wooden bench I've made out of railway sleepers The sleepers have a coating on them that's very like petrol in smell haha.

Reactions: Dan_Avant and D34n6681
Lol! Problem solved.

Reactions: Chrismawa
Ha ha, love it!

Although I had this exact problem after fitting my RS4 FPRV. The nut on the metal fuel line worked its way loose and petrol started dripping down the side of the block!!!

Reactions: Chrismawa