Juddering on full lock at low speed - normal?

HertS3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Very new to the S4 B8.5 (less than a week) so this is new territory to me, having moved from the Haldex of an S3.

I noticed that the car vibrates quite loudly when I head off on full lock at low speed (e.g. when I turn out of a sharp corner near my house). I saw posts on other forums (and A5/A6 Allroad on here) that this may be a feature of 'true' Quattro cars that you need to learn to love, I wondered what other B8/B8.5 owners have to say about it, before I start worrying that something's up with the car I just bought?

It is the quattro judder / rumble at full lock, which is normal. The reason for that is S4 B8.5 has limited-slip centre diff (or crown centre diff) and the fact that it is a permanent 4wd / active and vectors torque to all corners. On Haldex cars it is front-drive based hence why you don't get to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc and HertS3
Thanks - I knew most of that, just not whether the judder was a feature of Torsen, now I know! Just glad nothing is wrong with the car, in terms of that shudder

Reactions: V6_Man
I vaguely remember that in my B5 manual it warned not to use much torque at full lock. Not sure if its the same in my B8 manual - I can't remember looking. Whilst the vibration noise is normal, it does seem sensible to only use light throttle until the steering can be released.

Reactions: HertS3

Its the same on most cars, especially FWD. Its not unknown to snap drive shafts if big welly is given at full lock.

Reactions: HertS3
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…