400 club (miles per tank, not bhp)

Damo S

Reaction score
39406754_501453766961692_8856401647308374016_n.jpg

402.6 miles with a bit left still. It took 45.82liters to refill -> 10.079 gallons = 39.94 real world mpgs. Pretty damn good tbh and Im impressed. The first 200 miles of that was mostly sat on the motorway at just under 80. The rest was commuting on a bit of motorway and back roads either sat at the speed limit or following everyone else.
Unfortunately I didnt reset the long term mpg counter at the start, but I know the first 200 miles it claimed 39 and the rest was low 40s up to 51 so it probably over reads a bit, maybe 10%, 15%.

Now that's done its time to add in a bit of fun again :)

Reactions: oli356
Are TDI owners allowed to post here? :blush: I have a picture of 83mpg (Croatia->Slovenia->Italy->Switzerland trip).

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Damo S
My last tank I got like 250 miles. I blame that on the engine needing breaking in not my right foot

Reactions: Jcbmally
Are TDI owners allowed to post here? :blush: I have a picture of 83mpg (Croatia->Slovenia->Italy->Switzerland trip).

Yeah, but it doesnt have 300 bhp under the hood :wink new:

Reactions: Jcbmally and lledwoc
I raise you 10 mpg :p

My commute home yesterday recorded 51.6mpg (slightly downhill and slight tail wind, the opposite journey was 45.2). No photo evidence you'll just have to take my word for it :)

Reactions: lledwoc
My commute home yesterday recorded 51.6mpg (slightly downhill and slight tail wind, the opposite journey was 45.2). No photo evidence you'll just have to take my word for it :)

To be fair mine was over about 90 miles between MK and Sheffield when I wasn't in a rush doing 60mph most of the time except through roadwork's, I think it can be coaxed to do good MPG...but it's boring as f***k

You must have a light right foot Damo. I try and do this and soon get bored. I average about 35-37mpg with combination of motorway, city and spirited back road driving. Suits me :p

You must have a light right foot Damo. I try and do this and soon get bored. I average about 35-37mpg with combination of motorway, city and spirited back road driving. Suits me :p

light for this tank. I dont intend to continue this

Reactions: Adam14
I was impressed when I got 42mpg on the way to Sheffield the other day (90 mile trip). Comparing that to my usual 15-19 mpg journey to the office :blink:

Reactions: Damo S and Adam14
What on earth are you guys doing ??? pushing them !!! never get more than 340 per tank when driving like Miss Daisy (no offence to any ladies), down to 250 per tank when honing a bit.

What on earth are you guys doing ??? pushing them !!! never get more than 340 per tank when driving like Miss Daisy (no offence to any ladies), down to 250 per tank when honing a bit.
Sure you don't have a leak? :p. I do a lot of motorway/national speed limit driving so steady speed with cruise control so average around 37mpg. Get about 400-420 from a tank. Even with spells of "ragging" it I comfortably get 370 miles + from a tank.

Reactions: Bells and Jcbmally
Sure you don't have a leak? :p. I do a lot of motorway/national speed limit driving so steady speed with cruise control so average around 37mpg. Get about 400-420 from a tank. Even with spells of "ragging" it I comfortably get 370 miles + from a tank.
370 wtf...

I've only had 9 fuel ups (out of 43) above 300 miles, the highest being 324 miles and i put in 48 litres so I was near empty I suppose. I really don't ragg it most of the time but my fuel logging is showing an average of 28.7 mpg at the moment. I've got 37mpg on one or two occasions but usually a few lower on the motorway, especially if not many 50 zones and I can cruise at 80-85.

I do try and care what the MPG is, but I could never sit on the motorway if clear at 70...

I have got like 22/23 mpg a couple of times on the way home this week from work, a few clear roads to put foot down for a while and its not difficult to keep it under 25!

I have a 180 mile trip next week, but I wouldn't want to risk coming back home on the same tank of fuel ... would be interesting though to see if I could do the 360... Mind you, 360 miles even at 30mpg (doable) is 12 gallons (45 litres), so it should be possible...33 mpg and its just over 41 litres..

Going to guess also the FL is slightly better because of the 7th gear though anyway.

I'll just leave this here.. Hit 95.4, but went down to 88 or so when I got home. The picture was taken about 25ish miles in to my commute.

P.S. Sorry for uploading the picture like that, first time doing it on here!

Attachments

• 20180627_153829.jpg
    20180627_153829.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 376
Maybe Ara blue is more frugal then :whistle2:

Reactions: lledwoc and Adam14
370 wtf...

I've only had 9 fuel ups (out of 43) above 300 miles, the highest being 324 miles and i put in 48 litres so I was near empty I suppose. I really don't ragg it most of the time but my fuel logging is showing an average of 28.7 mpg at the moment. I've got 37mpg on one or two occasions but usually a few lower on the motorway, especially if not many 50 zones and I can cruise at 80-85.

I do try and care what the MPG is, but I could never sit on the motorway if clear at 70...

I have got like 22/23 mpg a couple of times on the way home this week from work, a few clear roads to put foot down for a while and its not difficult to keep it under 25!

I have a 180 mile trip next week, but I wouldn't want to risk coming back home on the same tank of fuel ... would be interesting though to see if I could do the 360... Mind you, 360 miles even at 30mpg (doable) is 12 gallons (45 litres), so it should be possible...33 mpg and its just over 41 litres..

Going to guess also the FL is slightly better because of the 7th gear though anyway.
Yup. 7th gear does help a lot. Doing 78mph on motorway at just under 2k rpm so very easy to average 40mpg from that. Seeing as that makes up the majority of my drives to various jobs, the spells of sport mode and thrashing it round the side rounds only brings down the average to 35mpg.

I filled up past Sunday. Done 40 miles to home then 10 lots of 30 miles and had 100 miles left on range. That's with the above sort of driving. So easily averaging 38mpg.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yup. 7th gear does help a lot. Doing 78mph on motorway at just under 2k rpm so very easy to average 40mpg from that. Seeing as that makes up the majority of my drives to various jobs, the spells of sport mode and thrashing it round the side rounds only brings down the average to 35mpg.

I filled up past Sunday. Done 40 miles to home then 10 lots of 30 miles and had 100 miles left on range. That's with the above sort of driving. So easily averaging 38mpg.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I was wondering what the FL RPM was on motorway speeds as mine is like 3k RPM I think at that kind of speed.

Reactions: Adam14
I'll just leave this here.. Hit 95.4, but went down to 88 or so when I got home. The picture was taken about 25ish miles in to my commute.

P.S. Sorry for uploading the picture like that, first time doing it on here!

Woah! Were you actually doing what fuel economy advisor in the car was telling you? Because when I try to do it, it wants me to go to 6th gear at 40mph lol.

370 wtf...

12 UK gallons is 54.5 litres not 45. Are you sure you are converting correctly? Even so, unless you spend a lot of time in traffic then struggling to get over 300 on a tank would suggest there is something amiss with your car.

12 UK gallons is 54.5 litres not 45. Are you sure you are converting correctly? Even so, unless you spend a lot of time in traffic then struggling to get over 300 on a tank would suggest there is something amiss with your car.
Maybe was using US gallons (had just used a calculator tbh and forgot about UK vs US).

Nothing wrong with the car though, I just tanked up on 260 miles with 100 miles estimated left. Fuel up prior to this was 310 miles, but my light had come on a few miles before I got to the petrol station.
Real MPG use is 28.8 and yes, lots of traffic :(

Maybe it is just the fact majority of my (and maybe others) have a lot of national speed limit roads on their commute, where you can sit with cruise control constantly. 38-41mpg is easy with that. So getting 370+ out of a tank is easy. I don't see anything wrong with getting more out of a tank, part of the appeal of an S3, power and fun is always there but can return solid efficiency when it has to.

Reactions: oli356
Daily commute 20 miles each way on empty A and B roads returns 29 - 30 mpg for me and just around 300 miles to the tank.
Best ever was a 150 mile trip up the A9, mainly under average speed cams 60 - 70 mph, and this returned just over 400 miles to the tank.

Maybe was using US gallons (had just used a calculator tbh and forgot about UK vs US).

Nothing wrong with the car though, I just tanked up on 260 miles with 100 miles estimated left. Fuel up prior to this was 310 miles, but my light had come on a few miles before I got to the petrol station.
Real MPG use is 28.8 and yes, lots of traffic :(

Traffic absolutely murders the economy. I'm fortunate that I have very little on my commute and also not many places to encourage overtaking which is probably why I had a good fuel return (until winter when the traffic will be fairly awful)

Woah! Were you actually doing what fuel economy advisor in the car was telling you? Because when I try to do it, it wants me to go to 6th gear at 40mph lol.
It usually follows what I do naturally, tend to change up a gear at 2100 rpm. Sometimes I ignore it when I know what's best for the engine. 4th is best at 40mph for me in my 1.6

Best ever was a 150 mile trip up the A9, mainly under average speed cams 60 - 70 mph, and this returned just over 400 miles to the tank.
:sadlike::sadlike::sadlike: I expected more from you @Audi Bairn, 400mile from a tank full !! take it out of "granny mode" lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Well, I achieved 41.3 mpg today on my 180 mile trip. It was 0.3 higher before I got hit by town traffic.

Previous best was like 37/38 but my cruise control was set to 72mph (adaptive cruise was being ridiculous at times, as was pre sense when it kicked in once for no apparent reason!)
Saved me like £4/5 on fuel compared to doing 35 mpg.

Suppose if I didn't drive now till I go back home I could maybe be part of 400 club, if I was able to achieve on way back... But....

I feel the need to go rag the car now and not drive it like that!

:sadlike::sadlike::sadlike: I expected more from you @Audi Bairn, 400mile from a tank full !! take it out of "granny mode" lol

No option mate lol
The average speed cams ensure a steady speed, otherwise you can go from clean licence to no licence before you reach Dunkeld

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jcbmally and TYb
Let me know when you get over 450 miles ;)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Well, I achieved 41.3 mpg today on my 180 mile trip. It was 0.3 higher before I got hit by town traffic.

Previous best was like 37/38 but my cruise control was set to 72mph (adaptive cruise was being ridiculous at times, as was pre sense when it kicked in once for no apparent reason!)
Saved me like £4/5 on fuel compared to doing 35 mpg.

Suppose if I didn't drive now till I go back home I could maybe be part of 400 club, if I was able to achieve on way back... But....

I feel the need to go rag the car now and not drive it like that!
You must have the patience of a saint. When I'm in mine all the car says to me is do it, do it, do it, so I oblige and give it some :racer:

Reactions: oli356 and Audi Bairn
I only got 200 out my last tank :superman:

Reactions: MattSedg, oli356, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Its looking good for 400 again and I have been booting it here and there too :yes:

I think I'll set myself a challenge and see what's the least amount of mpg per tank. This morning short term mpg was reading 14mpg heh, heh, heh. So if i keep driving like that I'm looking at 154ish miles to the tank :rock:

Reactions: Ben Watson and Audi Bairn
Gonna need to fill up my 4th tank. Car has 900 miles on it. To be fair it only had 3/4 tank when I got it.