3GMMI can read 3GMMI HDD maps using SD card?

Markjb

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of reading on the Maps front and think I've read this but would be grateful if someone could confirm.

I've updated and activated my 3gMMI 2014 maps using various threads dotted around but am I right in thinking that I can use the 3GMMI HDD maps (i.e. 3D etc) if I use a 32gb SD card?

Will give it a go anyway but does anyone know?

TIA

Mark

From my understanding this won't work, the HD MMI 3G runs a different firmware and the maps are not cross compatible.

Thanks for replying - it was worth checking.

So are the 3GMMI basic maps pure 2d only do you know or is there a way to at least have an element of 3D like TomTom?

Thanks again.

Mark

Thanks for replying - it was worth checking.

So are the 3GMMI basic maps pure 2d only do you know or is there a way to at least have an element of 3D like TomTom?

Thanks again.

Mark
Don't think so that feature (really not much more than tipping the plane of view) was added back in with the C7 version of the SD card based 3G navigation (it was available with the earlier 2G system). To your earlier question, I would agree with B5NUT that it is not possible. In addition to the firmware issues the HDD version has a screen with a higher resolution and also a larger display area. meaning that the Pixel reference points it is expecting for the display would be all wrong. I would assume also that the HDD version has a faster processor in order to handle displaying the 3D graphics

Screen side is not an Issue, I've fitted a 3G+ HDD unit to my C6 and the resolution was fine, but I agree I think the firmware will cause an issue and you may also have problem with speed of reading the data of the SD card slot as the HDD map size is around 29GB and you may notice problems loading the maps and running the navigation.

It may worth a try as I don't think it will affect the main MMI 3G firmware, and if does not work then you have only lost a bit of time. Good luck and please report back.

Thanks both.

Well I've downloaded the maps and they're sitting on a SD card so will give it a go and see what happens. As you say B5NUT it will have only cost me a bit of time.

So your set up sounds interesting. So did you have a 3G MMI to start with but have swapped out the DVD main unit? Presumably you are now running the 3GHDD firmware then?

No my car was MMI 2G then retrofited 3G HDD, now in the middle of 3G+ HDD+SIM retrofit.

You like to keep busy then!!

How long did the 2g to 3G HDD take?

If I were to add the hours up about 3-4 working days, that includes hours spent on ebay finding cheap parts, looking at the wiring in elsawin, making up the harness and the installation.

So, gave it a go but my MMI didn't even recognise the card! Ah well, it would have been cool if it had worked.......

Reactions: B5NUT
o well at least you know the answer, and it always good to have a play. One question, what file system did you format the card with?

Fat32.....

I assumed it wouldn't recognise due to the info in the meta info text file.

@B5NUT, if I was to get a 3GHDD unit, would that be all I need to go from 3G Basic to 3GHDD? In other words would I need to change any other hardware?

Expensive do to I know but might be worth looking out for a cheapish unit if it come sup.

TIA

As you already have 3G they it should be be the case of ripping out the old unit, and putting in 3G HDD. I'm currently running a 3G+ unit in my A6, so my unit 3G may become available, as you can only have one 5F module registered in the can gateway, so my old 5F unit is now in component protection and if I get it removed it would put my 3G+ module in CP.

The 3G+ retrofit is not a simple as I first though, and it's requiring a fair amount of tinkering which I'll do a write-up as the only A6 4F 3G+ retrofit documentation is in German (that I can find), so I'm keeping hold of my old 3G HDD unit for the next few weeks unit I can figure it all out, but then it will be for sale.

Sounds as though you're having fun!

Keep me posted re the unit if you could. Would I need to do any coding work or will it be a straight swap?

Ta

M

It would need coding to the options fitted to your car, and it would need component protection removing. It already has the latest maps & firmware.