Knocking/Banging from rear when reversing

Jord0301

Reaction score
has anybody heard this noise? When beginning to reverse there’s a few knocks/bangs from what appears to be the rear wheels/brakes.

Can be quite loud, but is very consistent. It’s as if the wheels don’t like going the other way!?

It'll likely be the pads moving in the calipers. Common on the rear brakes across the performance MQB range.

Can’t say I’ve ever experienced any noise like this at all and if there is a noise it seems to happen for me haha!

Only noise I can recall of when reversing is the flaps opening and closing but that’s a beep not a banging.

No noise here either. Need to get that looked at by the sounds of it.

I’ve had this occasionally... I’ve had it on other cars too... most certainly the pads moving and nothing much to worry about

has anybody heard this noise? When beginning to reverse there’s a few knocks/bangs from what appears to be the rear wheels/brakes.

Can be quite loud, but is very consistent. It’s as if the wheels don’t like going the other way!?
Are U lowered? I get this on the odd occasion but it only started after I lowered the car.

Current - 2018 RS3 Sedan
Past - 2016 RS3 SB

I get this a lot because I have to reverse off the drive in the morning and apply the brakes whilst going backwards. I think it mainly does it when the discs have a got a a bit of a film of rust to scrub off so they're a bit stickier than usual. If you generally initially apply the brakes each day while going forwards, you probably won't experience it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…