2.0 TDI can't engage first gear

Seanchadwick2k3

Audi A6 C6 2.0tdi 2011 Sline Special Edition
Reaction score
Hello everyone

The last few days I've had trouble engaging first gear when I first start up. It just won't budge at all. Only way I've found is to either idle for a bit or stick it in second and then go to first.

Any thoughts?

Also my blower seems to have developed a vibration. It doesnt seem to be affected by the aircon being on or off but does seem louder when it's really hot outside.

My assumption is that either the motor is on its way out or a bit of rubbish has made its way in.

Ive watched a video on YouTube showing the location of the pollen filters, under the dash? Is the only way in to the fan area from the top? Removing the wipers etc etc?

Old passat was nice and easy just a cover off and you could see in from the top, this seems like a pain in the backside!

Anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like a clutch issue. Where abouts is the biting point when releasing the clutch. It might just need the hydraulic fluid topping up or , the clutch might be on it's way out.
Do you have a friendly mechanic. Let them look at it.

Clutch feels ok as far as I can tell, IL check biting point later but not noticed any slipping or anything either. What is odd is that it was fine today now it's cooled down a bit but that could be a complete coincidence.

my dad is my trust mechanic so will have a word when I see him. Hopefully it's something daft.

Last edited:
This hasn't happened since i posted, strange how it was happening for days on the bounce thoigh. Hopefully it's fixed itself.