US or UK

bombhead

Reaction score
Hello,
Im new to Audi's and this forum so hello. I have a question about buying VCDS. Am I missing something, but when you go onto Rosstech's US site its $200 (£156) for the 3 VIN enthusiast cable, but Gendans, the cheapest place Ive seen it here is £225, surley it cant be £69 for shipping and tax if there is any. Are there different regional versions??

We also have 20% VAT (sales tax) that is included in the UK price.

By the time you factor in customs, vat, import duty etc it's better buying it from a uk supplier.

Negative, sales tax was included and import duty isnt that much, however shipping was $94.....for a cable. UK it is then.

Maybe if you wait a short while after the world will be beating a path to your door as promised by the lard chap, you will have tariff free trade with the US, and can get it for $200.
Oh dear, I forgot though for this privilege you voted to reduce the £-$ 20%, so guess you are stuck with the higher price either way!

I made the mistake of ordering direct from Ross-Tech. The cable and shipping was cheaper than getting it from the UK however I got raped with £56 customs charges for the pleasure of ordering from the US. which made it a lot more expensive than getting it from the UK.

I honestly didnt think custom charges would be that much, have had a few bits from the states but never been stung that much. Guess that answers my question though, cheers for letting me know. Uk it is then.

Reactions: EXSpartan36
Generally custom charges aren't to bad on normal stuff. They always sting me when I order tools tho so I only do it as a last resort now.

It is also touch and go whether they charge duty. I used to play around with US cars and I would nevr know from one part to the next if duty was going to be charged. I once had to buy two camshafts and a cylinder head for a Cadillac, factored in the normal duty applicable, and bingo - parcel delivered to my door without any intervention! Yet another time, a set of brake pads for the same car, I had to go down to DHL, have them inspected then duty and VAT applied...
I think it has something (so I have been told) to do with how busy and/or lax the carrier is, as the Customs farm out the responibility to charge duty on 'domestic' items to the actual carrier to collect on their behalf.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…