Engine Oil Alert question

unkle

Beer God
Reaction score
Was driving back to the UK last night (I live in Germany) in the TDI and the minimium oil level alarm went off so slowed right down and took it easy, pulled in a layby to have a break and then when I switched the engine back on the alarm had gone and didnt re-appear for the rest of the journey, does it still need oil putting in or was it a glitch?

Im handing it over to the stealer on monday so dont fancy paying £15 for some oil just for them...

unkle said:
does it still need oil putting in or was it a glitch?
Check the dipstick. If the oil level is below or close to minimum, then I guess it needs some. If its nowhere near, then I guess its a glitch.

alanjonesbath said:
Check the dipstick. If the oil level is below or close to minimum, then I guess it needs some. If its nowhere near, then I guess its a glitch.

duh why didnt I think of that....

The warning lights evidently can't be trusted.
Mine kept 'bing bing binging' away for days after I filled the oil to max.
It decided it was bored of it's little game the night before I was due to visit the dealer to get it fixed.
Their all-knowing-replaces-basic-mechanic-work-and-makes-the-customer-a-liar computer said "no fault".