3.0btdi c7.5 dpf regenerate too often?

luckycol

Reaction score
Hi.
My 3.0bitdi regenereta dpf every 60-100km, is that normal?
In my opinion it shouldnt do that so often.
Oilash volume is 0.05l
Dpf differential pressure sensor works.
What i should check next if this isnt normal?

If you're driving it regularly, then yes. Particularly short journeys. It doesn't take long for these to get blocked up, and it can only burn it off with incredibly high temperatures, which leads to regenning.

Is it actually completing the region each time? If when you switch off the car the cooling fans are still running and there is a burning smell then the car is still doing the region. It needs a good 30 mins of reasonable speed driving to complete a regen

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing
Is it actually completing the region each time? If when you switch off the car the cooling fans are still running and there is a burning smell then the car is still doing the region. It needs a good 30 mins of reasonable speed driving to complete a regen
thanks for replying
Yes it complete regeneration or atleast car think so. I have taken care of that last 10 times. But after regen sootmass value isnt 0g, it is usually something 2g-5g(calculated and measured). i dont know is it okey. Cooling fan isnt running after shutdown car.
Would be nice to know how another peoples bitdis is regenerating. My old bitdi (prefacelift) did that like every 300 or 400km.

If you're driving it regularly, then yes. Particularly short journeys. It doesn't take long for these to get blocked up, and it can only burn it off with incredibly high temperatures, which leads to regenning.
i drive daily 30km to work and of course 30km back home.

It regenerates based on measured/calculated soot mass, oil ash volume, as well as the pressure measured in the DPF itself. Newer cars may have more stringent DPF regen detection/cycles vs their older counterparts, because if it doesn't catch it soon enough and a sufficient amount of time isn't provided for it to fully regen, then it can go as far as not regenerating due to the soot mass being too high, i.e. beyond a certain value.

When I have topped up the oil on the cars of customers I have in my part time job that isn't detailing related, I have personally found that newer cars are quicker to let you know the oil is low vs older cars. I've had no end of older cars come in where the oil light had only just come on, only to find it wasn't even measuring on the dipstick after I had topped it up with a 1 litre bottle. The same principle may be happening here with your DPF, but like yourself I'd like to hear more from other biTDI owners on their DPF regens.

My one does regen every 300/400km ish, but this also depends on driving style.