3.0 Trip Tronic 272bhp / Black Optic

Addie

Reaction score
I was a little disappointed in the A4 line up that it didn't include the 3.0 BiTDi available in the A6 and the SQ5. I've not been able to drive on yet - does anyone have any thoughts on this model? 272BHP.

Also Black Optic pack seems to have been removed from the options - will this be returning as usually its reserved for runout models or mid-facelift as with the A6 didn't arrive until 2014MY.

My local dealer told me the black optic pack has been removed because it was so popular they couldn't keep up with the order demand.

He implied it would be available after they'd run through the backlog of cars waiting for them.

I have had a 3.0 272 Tdi on test for the last few days and it is very impressive.
I have been into Wales and on longish motorway journeys to see what its like.
The handling is much less fussy than the B8 with very little tramlining and skitting about that you get on the B8.
Motorway travel with adaptive cruise and adaptive suspension was very quiet, relaxed and comfortable.
Switching to Dynamic stiffens the suspension but it is still more compliant than my current B8.

I currently have a 245 3.0 tdi and the improvements are very noticeable in all areas.

I was always planning to buy an S4 when it arrives shortly but now I am having second thoughts.
The tiptronic box in the new 3.0 is very impressive and 0-60 in 5.3 seconds means its no slouch.

No doubt the S4 will be faster and sound a bit more sporty but I found I was at the speed limit so quickly I am not sure the S4 extra performance is going to be of much use.

I would recommend driving one, its very impressive.

The only thing I dont like about the tdi is the 2 exhausts at one side. I like the balance of one either side

Black optic exterior pack was removed as they had a problem with the suppliers. It will be available to order with the my2017 build models so they won't actually hit the roads till August!!!

It was a must have for me but I can't wait that long! So annoying as I HATE chrome detailing

I'm also interested in the 272 model!
Options chosen - mythos black ( black styling pack when available) titanium diamond cut alloys, tech pack, virtual cockpit, light,vision, b&o, privacy glass, piano black interior, black alcantara/leather upholstery
Got a very decent quote through drive the deal.
48 monthly payments of £464, 3k deposit, 5k miles per year
Total list price came up to around 46k and they gave me a whopping 7k off!
I'm not yet due to order but will be in April as I need it to be with me by Sept as that's when my current a3 on lease goes back.
Anyone think I can get a better deal than this? Will defo be asking west London audi who I brought my current car with to match this, I wonder if they can lol :$
Also, when do my17 cars begin building? As I heard from this forum that that's the time the black styling pack will be available again, has to have that black stealth look ;)
Tbh I don't mind the 2 exhausts on the side as when I remap the beast n my car keeps up with an S4 that will make other drivers wonder how this type of car is capable of so much!
To call it a sleeper is an understatement!
@hmy7k what is the tiptronic like compared to the s tronic? I've remapped my tcu on the a3 and the s tronic box is just flawless!

Also, how does the engine note sound? Is it super refined during normal driving or can u still hear and tell it's a diesel? My a3 tdi mapped makes an awesome sound when floored and is generally extremely refined, also can hear the turbo spooling at low revs sometimes!‎

@hmy7k what is the tiptronic like compared to the s tronic? I've remapped my tcu on the a3 and the s tronic box is just flawless!

My current car is a manual so I can't make a direct comparison, although I do have a DSG Golf.
The tiptronic is an 8 speed ZF box and it was pretty smooth and depending on the drive select setting was very responsive.
I used the paddles on a few occasions but they take a bit of getting used to because you have so many gears to choose from.
I would be happy with either box to be honest but I expect the tiptronic will probably be more reliable over the longer term.

I would seriously consider the adaptive cruise if you can stretch to it, it is very useful and can be set to obey speed limits even temporary ones. I found on longer journeys it took all the effort out of sitting in traffic on faster roads.

The adaptive suspension is also worth considering, comfort was noticeably more compliant than the dynamic although both were better than my current Sline set up.

And the matrix led's are brilliant, never touched them once they were on and not flashed at once.

Engine noise is very refined much more so than my current 3.0 tdi, you would never guess it was a diesel even when cold.
Its not a sporty sound though so if thats what you want the S4 might be more suitable.
I averaged 38mpg on a new car and I was testing it out, you wont get anything like that in an S4.

I am waiting to order now but I would like an exclusive colour (ara blue) but I am not sure exclusive is available yet as you cant select it on the configurator.

Thanks for telling us about the matrix lights. I have't experienced them yet and I've spec'd then on mine.

I looked to see if the black optic kit was available yet but it's been fully removed from the configurator now!

Having driven a sline comfort suspension is a must, the sports suspension and potholes etc., too easily make for a irritating ride. Lovely on smooth tarmac though of course but a bit 'floaty' at times

Interesting you said that about the S line suspension. I didn't notice the suspension being firm myself even driving on country roads. Then again I've never noticed the suspension being hard in my b8 and I've got the optional S line suspension.

You wouldn't coming from the harder sline suspension to the softer sports. I was coming from the sport suspension a3 sline saloon to the harder sports suspension on the A4 and found myself having to avoid any cracks or potholes.

I have had a 3.0 272 Tdi on test for the last few days and it is very impressive.
I have been into Wales and on longish motorway journeys to see what its like.
The handling is much less fussy than the B8 with very little tramlining and skitting about that you get on the B8.
Motorway travel with adaptive cruise and adaptive suspension was very quiet, relaxed and comfortable.
Switching to Dynamic stiffens the suspension but it is still more compliant than my current B8.

I currently have a 245 3.0 tdi and the improvements are very noticeable in all areas.

I was always planning to buy an S4 when it arrives shortly but now I am having second thoughts.
The tiptronic box in the new 3.0 is very impressive and 0-60 in 5.3 seconds means its no slouch.

No doubt the S4 will be faster and sound a bit more sporty but I found I was at the speed limit so quickly I am not sure the S4 extra performance is going to be of much use.

I would recommend driving one, its very impressive.

I have the 245 3.0TDi as well and was considering S4 in the B9 next.
I was worrying the TipTronic would not be as good as the STronic, so this was the perfect reply for me, TVM :)

My current car is a manual so I can't make a direct comparison, although I do have a DSG Golf.
The tiptronic is an 8 speed ZF box and it was pretty smooth and depending on the drive select setting was very responsive.
I used the paddles on a few occasions but they take a bit of getting used to because you have so many gears to choose from.
I would be happy with either box to be honest but I expect the tiptronic will probably be more reliable over the longer term.

I would seriously consider the adaptive cruise if you can stretch to it, it is very useful and can be set to obey speed limits even temporary ones. I found on longer journeys it took all the effort out of sitting in traffic on faster roads.

The adaptive suspension is also worth considering, comfort was noticeably more compliant than the dynamic although both were better than my current Sline set up.

And the matrix led's are brilliant, never touched them once they were on and not flashed at once.

Engine noise is very refined much more so than my current 3.0 tdi, you would never guess it was a diesel even when cold.
Its not a sporty sound though so if thats what you want the S4 might be more suitable.
I averaged 38mpg on a new car and I was testing it out, you wont get anything like that in an S4.

I am waiting to order now but I would like an exclusive colour (ara blue) but I am not sure exclusive is available yet as you cant select it on the configurator.

Wow that sounds very impressive, I am hopeful that it is good enough I mean if it wasn't then it wouldn't be fitted to performance Audi's like the S8..

Either way I can always remap the transmission if I feel like it isn't as sharp as the s tronic.

What does the 443lbs ft of torque actually feel like? really curious to know as I'm pretty sure it must be the quickest model for the 272ps V6 TDI engine due to it weighing much less than the other bigger audis..

The new 3.0 tdi is fast believe me.
I was all set for getting an S4 for the extra performance over my 245 3.0 TDi and I have come to the conclusion that whilst the S4 will be quicker this car is actually fast enough for normal use. I found myself at silly speeds without trying and then constantly easing off.

The torque and the tiptronic mean it has very good pick up from any speed it really is effortlessly fast.
A similar ZF box is fitted to the Alpina D3 and that gets very good reviews.

If you are considering an S4 I would recommend a drive in one before you decide.

That sounds so good!
I really like the alpina d3 and d4, I'm sure that the a4 272ps could easily be a match for them with a good ecu/tcu remap.

Possibly be as quick as the S4 also especially knowing that it comes with a lot more torque standard

In that case I can't wait to test drive it!
P.s did u take any videos or pics of the test car u drove?
Would be great to have a peak :p

Here is a picture of the car I had, not my favourite colour but it still looked good.
There are lots of videos on youtube here is one that gives a pretty good representation

I am just waiting to find out if I can order an exclusive colour before I place an order.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 218
Hope the S4 comes out soon as I'm wanting something that sounds a bit more sporty

Here is a picture of the car I had, not my favourite colour but it still looked good.
There are lots of videos on youtube here is one that gives a pretty good representation

I am just waiting to find out if I can order an exclusive colour before I place an order.

Seen that video :) I love the way it drives and it does sound proper aggresive! a remap would defo improve the sound even more then.

The only thing that puts me off is the 0 60 is done in 6.2 seconds rather than the claimed 5.3 -_-

I'm hoping a newer video comes out where it shows the car actually hitting 60 in at least 5.4!

If it's a new car it's probably still loosening up so the 0-60 should improve.

These new 3.0TDIs have me worried, I think they'll be as quick on the move as my current S4 is. :) Also read the Clarkson review where he described it as "rapid". Sounds like a great car, will have to try and get a test drive at some point to see how it compares.

If it's a new car it's probably still loosening up so the 0-60 should improve.

These new 3.0TDIs have me worried, I think they'll be as quick on the move as my current S4 is. :) Also read the Clarkson review where he described it as "rapid". Sounds like a great car, will have to try and get a test drive at some point to see how it compares.

Yeah definitely, I would assume the same.

Haha, they may be as quick in the mid range due to the extra torque and a good remap may even trump it completely! The thing that attracts me to Audi diesels is the way they sound and drive, you could easily mistake them for petrols! and that extra pulling power is really a nice welcome :)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and scotty76
Never driven and if the Audi 3.0tdi's but I only hear good things.
The new 2.0tdi 190 is really rapid in the new lighter car so the 3.0tdi must be ballistic!!

Reactions: syed123
The 3.0tdis are great! Very nice and smooth as well as v quick!
Sound and drive is not a petrol tho if that's your thing

Reactions: syed123