3.0 TDI downpipe removal

viio

Reaction score
Has anyone tried removing the downpipe on their 3.0 TDI? On Monday/Tues I plan to unbolt mine and take it off the car. I hope to cut open and gut the cats. Mine is the 2007 non-DPF version. I imagine it's a pain in the balls to get into. Can anyone offer any wisdom or guides for the job?

Thanks
P

I know one member on here replaced his downpipe and removed the cats, and from what I read it was not an easy job, Audi usually supply the exhaust in one piece so you may have to cut it in the correct places and fit a clamp. Do you have a ramp to do the job as I would not fancy to that job on axle stands.

Mmmm that doesn't bode well. We'll be on drive on ramps for the first attempt, and we have access to a proper garage ramp if needed. Step one is to see if we can get the bolts loose enough to maneuver it out.

I've spotted a join in the pipe at 7 on the diagram below. If we can get that unbolted perhaps we can get it off in two sections.