Camshaft position sensor (G40 Hall sensor) replacement A6 2.0 BRE rough running

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have posted this else where (my apologies) but trying to get a bit of help with replacing the camshaft sensor.

My A6 2.0 tdi BRE manual gbox, hesitates and the revs often jump between 1000 - 2000 revs, it mainly happens under light acceleration and down changes at roundabouts etc. I almost feels like it is going to stall as it splutters for a second.

I initially though it could be these items via reading up on it:
EGR clogged or failed
DMFlywheel failing
Mass airflow sensor fault
Tandem pump issue

However today I got VCDS on and it is showing many error for the last few months on the camshaft position sensor fault P3007 012295.

So I thought easy enough replace it out, clear the fault and go from there. However it seems it may be a timing belt off job to remove the sensor can anyone confirm this or has someone done the job without taking the belt & a pulley off.

The plug and wire for the sensor pass through a grommet in the rear timing belt cover but with the pulley on I'm not sure the plug on the cable end will pass through. Can I cut the plug off to remove and do the same on the new plug and the resolder the wires!!

Any help appreciated!

Don't think you will get a response the user has not been back on the forum since may 2016..

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…