Buying a tt

Bullfrogg

Reaction score
hi everyone I'm new on here so be nice lol . I'm thinking of buying a a mk1 tt got around £3000 to spend . I've had Audi in the past and love them but have always seemd a bit unlucky with them , anyway would just like to know people's thoughts on buying a old tt I know £3000 is not a lot to spend but just wondering what I should be looking for car wise problem wise any information would be great , thanks Mark

Reactions: Essexman
MK1 TT is a good machine with lots of options: if you want all-year round then a ragtop/roadster with quattro and for us a 3.2 with DSG 'cos that's what we did and followed with a MK2 2.0 TT in the same specification: GREAT pieces of machinery, just buy the best you can with low-miles and service history if possible and then sort it yourself...

I'm in same boat as Bullfrog, so will take your advice too, ive been on the a3 side of things a while, have mates with tt's, and seems like im back at school the amount of research i've done about tt's lol, Will create a thread when i get one,

Quick question- which engine code is best ? and why, I'm after a 225 6spd manual coupe, around the year 2000/ 2001

Reactions: 45bvtc
Not sure of the engine code but I seriously suggest you don't dismiss the 3.2 as with its DSG in manual flappy-paddle mode the machine's amazing while relaxd (ha ha) in DGS auto: this was mine and maybe for sale shortly with full Audi service history:

PS: Take a look at my eBay item number: 141837421107 which is: AUDI TT MK 1 1.8 AND 3.2 COUPE AND ROADSTER QUATTRO SALES PACK APRIL 2004

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say ive always been a fan of turbocharged cars, with more scope to tune, 3.2v6 n/a has more power from the start but is heavy compared to il4 1.8t , and gets to a point (tuning wise) where the smaller but turbocharged tt can take over, for less money too, for example- the price of a stage 1 map on a 1.8t compared to a turbo conversion on a v6 etc,

Im going for a solid tin top coupe because i used to have issues with crime with soft top roofs & also leaks/ condensation

I realy do like the thought of dsg, i was thinking about getting a newer a3 with dsg (or s tronic as they call it) but with the 2.0tfsi, not the n/a 3.2v6
but 4wd appeals to me now (even just haldex instead of awd) the only way to have this in a 2.0tfsi dsg would be something like the newer S3, which i cant afford yet, so brings me to a turbocharged haldex TT conclusion

I also like the fact all TT's have there own style of course, future classic, despite so much predudice/ stigma i've heard, i want to just ignore it and enjoy the car

Used to have an MR2, need some of that feeling back

Ah i see, you went to a mk2 2.0, Yes a mk2 2.0 tfsi dsg (s tronic) quattro, is something i'd love after the mk1 tt maybe

You're not wrong in your thoughts Essexman but you should go try a 3.2; however, all three of mine are turbo, but only two DSG but if anyone wants to DSG our A2 then give me a price: