1.4 TFSI 150 COD flat ?

JossyB

Reaction score
I have a new Audi A3 S-Line Cabriolet with this engine and it feels flat at times. I previously had a 2013 Audi A3 1.4 S-Line 122 3dr and it felt quite a bit nippier. Better mpg too. Any thoughts ? I know the cab carries more weight.

It really depends what driver select mode you have used.

Flat in what way?

I have issues with acceleration from standstill when stop/start isn't activated - needs a lot of pedal pressure to get decent power as the delivery is delayed.

When you get going it's not bad, but I suspect you notice the same delay as I do. I've done the ground work already - taken it to Audi etc. - it's normal...unfortunately. Switching to S / Dynamic mode helps.

My MPG isn't spectacular either. Other 1.4 COD cars get 50+ though the max I've hit is 47 driving gently - though I never use Eco mode.

I think the heavier body will dull the delivery of power somewhat in reading reviews, I can't see anyone describing the engine as dull though. In other models the 1.4 is a gem and very responsive...

I've driven both and find the 122 almost naturally aspirated in its power delivery.

The 140 COD is much more lively and does feel turbocharged.

Neither feels 'flat' to me.

The cab I took out on a test drive felt peppy enough. Didn't really notice the extra weight over the 3 door hatch I have now...

The only time I have noticed the "flat spot" is when I've forgotten to switch from Eco mode when driving round town. I tend to keep it in Dynamic mode most of the time.

Here's my take on the settings for the 1.4TFSI COD engine

Auto mode- Never use it
Comfort Mode - Never use it
Eco Mode - Motorways and long stretches of Dual carriage way
Dynamic mode - everything except the above

Thanks all. I find it sluggish to pick up through the gears. I was in dynamic tonight and overtook a car in 4th. I found it slow to respond and almost bottled it. It feels like the car is going nowhere. Personally, I don't rate dynamic as the steering is way too heavy with very little feel. I'm happier with comfort. The car has only just gone 500 miles I might add.

Maybe use individual. Set steering @ comfort and the rest in "get out of my road slow ****!! I'm coming through" also known as dynamic. Not sure it'll solve your issue but it'll give you light steering and the quickest response

Mine has now done 10k. I think you'll find the engine will loosen up as you add the miles!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…